PDA

View Full Version : Female flavicauda and randalli anthias

SDguy
09/22/2007, 05:00 PM
I'm looking for female flavicauda and randalli anthias. I understand that they look practically identical, save their location of collection. Are you able to obtain either of these? I'm aware of your email notice for DD stuff. Not the answer I am looking for :)

dfs/la2
09/22/2007, 05:28 PM
Sdguy,

Thank you for contacting us with your question. We currently have a trio of Pseudanthias flavicauda on our Divers Den page 8 of the fish section. Here is a link to them on our website:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=27252&siteid=20.

We apologize we do not list if they are males or females but we would be happy to check with our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility on Monday and repost. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us. We strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction.

Stacie R
Technical Support
Drs Foster and Smith

SDguy
09/22/2007, 06:05 PM
I have ordered from you many times. You guys are great.

The trio you currently have has at least a dominant female, if not male. It would probably conflict with my current male. I have yet to see just females (small, solid yellow tail) available from you in the DD section, which is why I posted this thread. And I've never seen Randall's anthias available from you at all.

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is....do you have control over what you can get from the people higher up on the ladder, so to speak? Or are you at the mercy of the standard Los Angeles wholesaler?

dfs/la2
09/22/2007, 06:15 PM
Sdguy,

Thank you for contacting us. We will need to check with our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility to verify what the sex of the trio is. We will also be able to determine if we have ever offered the Randalli Anthias. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions please fell free to contact us. We will again post as soon as we have checked with our facility.

Stacie R
Techinical Support
Drs Foster and Smith

SDguy
09/22/2007, 06:31 PM
No worries, not an inconvenience here. :) I look forward to hearing from you.

DFS
09/23/2007, 02:23 PM
Peter,

The trio of Pseudanthias flavicauda that were listed on the Divers Den was one male and two females. These fish have now sold. I do have two females left from our original batch of 25, and these two will be posted on the site early next week if all goes well and they cooperate for their photos. I can tell you that my supplier in Tonga has not harvested these fish in well over a month due to weather related issues as I am having a very difficult time acquiring more of these incredible Anthias.

We do offer Pseudanthias randalli (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2226&N=0) on the LiveAquaria web site and they are listed under the Anthias category. I have sold just a handful of trios on the Divers Den section of the site in the last six months, as the availability of these fish seem to run in spurts. The next time they are available I will bring some in to our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility so we can condition them and post them on the Divers Den.

We have outstanding relationships with our suppliers both overseas and in the US, and communicate on a daily or weekly basis with almost all of them. We are by no means at the "mercy" of any importer in Los Angeles.

Cheers,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

SDguy
09/25/2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all your help. The female flavicaudas should be here Thursday :)

SDguy
09/30/2007, 09:34 AM
Thank you very much for the phone call. The fact that you want to QT them for more time due to some split fins is excellent, and I appreciate it. BTW, that ORA scripps stag "frag" is ginormous!! Thank you :)

DFS/LA1
09/30/2007, 11:14 AM
SDguy,

Your welcome! We strive on shipping the healthiest specimens possible. We appreciate your patience in waiting for the Pseudanthias flavicauda to ship. We are also happy to hear that you are extremely pleased with the Scripp’s Green Tip Staghorn Coral you received. This will be an excellent addition to your tank.

Sue B.
Supervisors
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

SDguy
10/07/2007, 01:07 PM
Any word on how my two anthias are doing? :)

dfs/la2
10/07/2007, 01:20 PM
SDguy,

Thank you for your post. We sincerely apologize that we are unable to check on your Anthias at this time. Our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility is currently closed. However, we will be able to check on this Monday, and we will post in here to let you know how the Anthias is doing and when it will be ready to be shipped out to you.

Michelle L.
Live Aquaria
Drs. Foster & Smith

SDguy
10/07/2007, 01:55 PM
No problem. At your convenience. Thanks :)

SDguy
10/08/2007, 09:51 AM
Woohoo! Just got the call...I'll have them by Thursday. Thanks again!

CarlC
10/10/2007, 08:39 PM
Peter your lucky! These seem to be the last of the flav's around.

Carl

SDguy
10/11/2007, 09:23 PM
They came in today. One is a bit larger than I was hoping for, but still seems to have no male colors at all, so hopefully all will get along.

dfs/la2
10/12/2007, 07:33 AM
SDguy,

We are glad to hear you received the Anthias and that they are doing well. They should adjust and get along just fine. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at 1-800-334-3699. They are some wonderful fish to have in your aquarium.

Stacie R.
Technical Support
Drs Foster and Smith

SDguy
10/20/2007, 12:05 PM
Well, they are adapting well. Up until now, they only came out/ate while the lights were off. Today they are out eating with lights on :) They are both still much more pale than the others, but will darken with time I'm sure. Meanwhile, the dominant older one is really starting to get come crazy fuscia colors on the posterior portion of it's body :D

dfs/la2
10/20/2007, 12:47 PM
Sdguy,

Thank you for sharing your observations about your Anthias. We are happy to hear they are gaining color and acclimating to their new surroundings.

Pat S.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

SDguy
10/23/2007, 08:38 AM
Here they are:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Newflavicauda.jpg

And the old dominant one developing some nice colors:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Maleflavicauda-1.jpg

And playing well with others....
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Playingwellwithothers.jpg

dfs/la2
10/23/2007, 08:59 AM
SDguy,

Thank you for posting the amazing pictures of your Anthias. They look quite happy in their beautiful new home. We are glad to hear they are getting along well with their tank mates. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask.

Stacie R.
Technical Support
Drs Foster and Smith

CarlC
10/23/2007, 04:16 PM
Peter just wait till the male is really settled in and starts to court the girls. The colors just glow. I've had two spawns now from my group. The male looks normal up until about an hour before lights out but as lights out gets closer the colors just pop! Even the girls yellows get super bright.

Now I just have to figure out a way to collect the eggs before the other anthias eat them!

Carl

SDguy
10/23/2007, 06:31 PM
Holy cow Carl! That's great. I too am impressed with these anthias. The hardiness and appetites of Bartlett, without the social drama. A shame they are not more readily available. I do notice DFS often has the resplendent anthias available (very similar species). Are these a popular purchase with your customers DFS? I never see them mentioned on the boards.

CarlC
10/23/2007, 06:49 PM
It is pretty amazing to see! The amount of spawn is small, maybe 10-20 eggs. It is also really fast. The male starts out by signaling out the female and does a few swoops up and down. When she is ready she joins him for a swoop and they both release. All is over with in less then 30 seconds or so for the actual spawn he starts courting almost nightly about an hour before.
If I can get the two smaller girls to join the big girl I might have a chance of collecting some of the eggs.

This would be the perfect species for larger scaled captive breeding. Hint Hint Kevin!

Carl

dfs/la2
10/23/2007, 06:53 PM
SDguy,

Thank you for your response. The Resplendent Anthias is a beautiful fish and is popular with many of our customers. You may find this species at the link below.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2264&N=0

Nate M.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster & Smith

SDguy
10/23/2007, 07:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11037229#post11037229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CarlC
The male starts out by signaling out the female and does a few swoops up and down. When she is ready she joins him for a swoop and they both release. All is over with in less then 30 seconds or so

Carl

That's classic for anthias IME. I've had both redbar and pinksquare do this. Only the redbar released spawn though. The pinksquare..well, only the male, ehem...participated :D