PDA

View Full Version : I love my Doughnut...

JokerGirl
09/22/2007, 07:24 PM
I've come through the realization that my doughnut coral is probably my favourite coral of the tank. It's not particularily pretty colourwise and is a terrible slimer when it's mad at you, but I love it.

This was the 2nd coral I ever bought and was picked up at Premium Aquatics big sell out last year before they moved into their new warehouse. I got it for... $10. Mind you, it was only 4"x 4" when I bought it.

This coral has been through some tough times. It accidentally got sucked up by a tube when we were draining water out of the tank so we could transfer into the 120g. Shortly after that, one of my BTAs moved and stung the crap out of it.

Through all that, it's done remarkably well, and I can't even begin to tell you how huge it is now. It must be at least 9" x 5" around.

Awesome coral!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/JokerGirlsPhotos/IMG_4519.jpg

herostar
09/25/2007, 02:46 PM
Awesome LPS!!!

The_Taz_Devil
09/27/2007, 04:04 AM
Do you have a pic of the coral at night atall without being extended?
I think I have the same coral on the side of a scolymia australis but I am trying to get a positive ID. Lovely coral btw.

JokerGirl
09/27/2007, 12:02 PM
I'll see if I can get a photo for you tonight when the main lights go off and it deflates a bit. It usually extends pretty quickly after, but I'll see what I can do for ya :)

And thanks :) This is by far one of my favs.

The_Taz_Devil
09/28/2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks JokerGirl - very good of you.

The_Taz_Devil
09/28/2007, 09:13 AM
This is the coral I have - you can see the brown coral on the side.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n254/The_Taz_Devil/Coral%20Photos/Newcoral006800x600.jpg

JokerGirl
09/28/2007, 10:34 AM
That is definitely that same coral as my Doughnut. I had an evening class last night, so didn't get a chance to take that photograph for you.

My suggestion for you would be that if you can somehow separate the two, I would. Doughnuts grow very quickly, and I wouldn't want your pretty Scolymia to get overshadowed by it.

Otherwise, it looks good. It's nicely inflated. Mine used to be a nice circle like yours... until one edge got sucked up in a tube I was using to drain my old tank out. Now it's pinched on one edge.

The_Taz_Devil
09/28/2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks - I am a little nervous about trying to remove it from the conical base of the Scolymia to be honest. I wonder if you or anyone else has some advice on how best to do this - is the doughnut best secured to Live rock and placed on the sandbed ?

reeffish964
10/04/2007, 05:08 PM
Nice growth.