PDA

View Full Version : Stupid lighting question...

kidchill
09/23/2007, 08:32 AM
Okay, don't flog me, but I've been running PC's for a little over a year now. I've upgraded my coral selections and would like to move on to better lighting. I have a brand-new ice ballast setup, it's in the attic, so I don't know if it's HO or VHO, but should I hook that up or get a new T5 setup? I don't have the funds for MH, so that's out, but if I go the T5 route, what would be the cheapest but best setup to look into? I have a 75 gallon long (48"long and I think about 20" deep). Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanx

SCOTT42
09/23/2007, 09:29 AM
T5's Is what I would go with over vho, But also I think I would save some money up and go with m/h's.

DarG
09/23/2007, 09:32 AM
I IceCap ballasts will run T5 bulbs. They overdrive the bulbs at 80 - 85 watts each for the 48" 54 watt T5's. You could buy end caps, end cap mounts and reflectors for the T5's and, if the ballast is the IceCap 660, you could run 4 48" T5's over your tank. 4 IceCap driven T5's WITH individual reflectors would be plenty of light for anything on your tank. The IceCap ballasts do shorten the life of the T5's compared to normal, HO ballasts (54 watts). But if you have good airflow over the bulbs and endcaps with fans, you can minimize it and get good life out of the bulbs. Some say overdriving cuts bulb life in half, others claim it only shortens their usuable life by only 2 or 3 months if well cooled.

This would be your cheapest solution and very effective if you can DIY a canopy or light rack. $60 total for end caps and mounts, about 90 dollars for 4 SLR reflectors (cheaper for generics but go SLR) and about 90 - 100 dollars for 4 best quality bulbs.

So $250 total plus whatever materials you use to build the canopy or rack and a few bucks for wire if you need more.