PDA

View Full Version : Busy Cleaning Day

lpapagno
09/23/2007, 09:18 AM
I could not stand it anymore so I took all my rock out and cleaned all of the dirt that has accumulated on it for the past few months. I took each one out individually and dunk them in a bucket with salt water made up for regular water changes. I made sure to keep them submersed as quickly as possible and then after each one was cleaned I put them in a large can with made up salt water. I also kept a pump going for water circulation. There were a few casualties some crabs got killed because they were pinching me and I brush them off too hard into a bucket.
I vacuumed the sand as good as humanly possible, but there was still dirt coming up at each pass other than a complete overall I don’t think it’s ever going to be solved. I have good circulation, but this was my first salt water tank and it’s almost three years old now and I didn’t set it up from the get go like I would now. Unfortunately I don’t have a few thousand dollars to start over again so I will have to make due.
I did fine the source of the popping sounds I hear all the time. I have a pistol shrimp I hope it survives the whole ordeal. Anyway I re-aquascaped and hopefully it will lead to better water flow. It took me about three hours to do and I did enjoy the fact that it looks much better. I only hope I didn’t mess up the stability.

filmoholic
09/23/2007, 09:26 AM
Sounds like it was a water park in there! Get you a good cuc and let them do that next time! good luck! and post some pics my friend!

victor_c3
09/24/2007, 12:01 AM
I did a simular thing yesterday with my 30 gallon tank.

I even took out about 1/4-1/3 of the live rock in my tank and I've noticed a huge difference in the flow.

Hopefully cleaning all that excess crap out of my tank will cause a growth spurt for my corals!

uscharalph
09/24/2007, 12:20 AM
Just a part of the hobby.

nlmotoring
09/24/2007, 02:16 AM
I have never taken any of my rock out of my tank. I just keep different critters in the tank to keep everything clean.

unda_da_see
09/24/2007, 05:17 AM
if you didn't like the crabs pinching you your lucky the mantis didn't get ya. that would of been a good time to get him out of the tank.