PDA

View Full Version : Heniochus Butterfly and carpet anemone

slicedsmoke
09/23/2007, 02:43 PM
well ive had the butterfly for about 6 months and I added a carpet anemone and it appears that the butterfly is picking at the anemone. Does this make sense? What should I do? Also my tomato seems to showing the anemone some attention. Thanks for any advice.

slicedsmoke
09/23/2007, 03:07 PM
here is a picture of it. It has been in the tank for 4 days.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/slicedsmoke/P9230664.jpg

Haddonisreef
09/23/2007, 03:55 PM
I think that if the b fly continues to pick it may end up dinner!

slicedsmoke
09/23/2007, 04:14 PM
is this a common problem with butterflyfish?

GSMguy
09/23/2007, 05:26 PM
butterfly fish are not reef safe they eat corals as their main diet.

MIKE ALERS
09/23/2007, 08:26 PM
i think heniochus are actually reef safe..but i could be wrong.about the heniochus picking at the carpet i'll have to agree with charlie...it might become dinner.

Gary Majchrzak
09/23/2007, 08:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10826772#post10826772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slicedsmoke
well ive had the butterfly for about 6 months and I added a carpet anemone and it appears that the butterfly is picking at the anemone. Does this make sense? What should I do? Also my tomato seems to showing the anemone some attention. Thanks for any advice.
Your anemone is bleached, so it's in trouble from the jump. It's going to take some TLC to prevent it from becoming a smelly pile of mush. Not all Butterflyfishes eat anemones and/or corals, but an ailing anemone is very likely to get picked on by a hungry Heniochus. IMO you need to decide between keeping the Butterflyfish or the anemone.
Additionally, your Clownfish isn't a natural symbiont for that anemone and it might not ever host in it.

slicedsmoke
09/24/2007, 08:20 AM
Well I guess I couldnt expect to get a healthy anemone from petland :p Im betting that the light in the tank was no where near what the poor guy needed.

Well it appears that my butterfly was just really hungry, I am usually very careful about overfeeding, but I wanted to try something so I fed them really well, And believe it or not I haven't seen the butterfly near the anemone for at least 2 hours now. So at least thats some good news.

Thanks for the advice guys :D

tpdpercula
09/24/2007, 11:33 AM
Look at it this way, fish are like people and each fish will do different things. What one fish does in my tank, the same kind of fish might not do it in your tank. I have a friend who has a Flame Angel in his reef tank and it does not nip or eat his corals. My Flame Angel LOVES my zoas and had to be placed in a FOWLR tank. Make NORI available and make sure you feed about 2 times a day. It may or may not keep him from nipping on your anemone.

slicedsmoke
09/24/2007, 12:23 PM
hmm, i have never heard of nori, should my lfs have it or not?

han012
09/24/2007, 06:05 PM
nori=seaweed =)

JamesJR
09/24/2007, 06:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10827690#post10827690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
butterfly fish are not reef safe they eat corals as their main diet.

Some butterflyfish can make excellent reef fish. There are something like 8 different heniochus. The Heniochus acuminatus is definately not rees safe but there are lots of people who have had success with the heniochus diphreatus in their reefs.

slicedsmoke
09/26/2007, 10:05 AM
UPDATE:

The butterfly has not touched the carpet for a while now. And it has moved down lower in the tank and appears to be getting green tips on each of the tentacles, does this mean hes getting better or what? Ive been target feeding him. Like 3 times so far. Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

WDLV
09/26/2007, 10:33 AM
That is likely a good sign. Do you have any saddlebacks or other clowns hosting the nem? If so, they should ward off any potential anemone predators.

Keep in mind, an anemone to a butterfly is like a huge T-Bone steak without the bones.

slicedsmoke
09/26/2007, 11:05 AM
haha :D