PDA

View Full Version : Coraline algae changing colors

Chong27
09/24/2007, 10:14 AM
I noticed today that a couple of spot where i had purple coraline algae is has turned a pinkish color overnight. Does anybody know the cause of this.

papagimp
09/24/2007, 10:37 AM
could be dying off. See if it continues to turn white in the next few days. Could be a different strain of coraline growing over the old stuff. Could you list your water parameters for us (actual readings, not just "good" or "bad" as well as all other tank info that may be pertinant to helping answer your question)

pikachusalad
09/24/2007, 01:38 PM
How long have you had this live rock?

Have you changed anything lately? New lightbulbs, moved the rock to a different part of your aquarium?

I recently moved a piece of LR higher in my tank (closer to the lights) - and the coralline closest to the bulb turned pink...and then faded to white.

I seem to also remember reading about this happening to new liverock...maybe sitting at the bottom of the pile for awhile or just in dimly lit curing vats and then jammed under 400W MH bulbs for 12 hours a day - causes it to bleach (die).

I also seem to remember that the answer to this is something like "don't worry - more will grow (long as you maintain Ca and alk, etc.) - give it a few months - lots of different strains - some like more light than others - blah blah blah"

rustybucket145
09/24/2007, 01:42 PM
Has the rock been exposed to air anytime lately?