PDA

View Full Version : Vortech owner's poll

sherm71tank
09/24/2007, 05:14 PM
I've been contemplating the purchase of several Vortech pumps for quite some time. I haven't pulled the trigger because it seems like I constantly see threads about problems with the Vortech.

Would you buy it again? Please feel free to elaborate.

OliverM3
09/24/2007, 05:33 PM
Completely problem free. I haven't even seen any threads about issues except early versions of the vortech.
Go for it you'll love it.

I know the Tunze diehards will say you can direct the flow. But you know what that's because you don't need to.

Alexxn
09/24/2007, 05:55 PM
Absolutely LOVE mine and the battery backup is great insurance as well !

Apon
09/24/2007, 05:56 PM
No problems with mine.

IanJ
09/24/2007, 05:56 PM
No problems at all. Best pump i have owned by far.

sherm71tank
09/24/2007, 05:59 PM
Can you make sure that you vote!!!!!

sherm71tank
09/24/2007, 06:38 PM
50/50 so far.

rishma
09/24/2007, 07:02 PM
really? how many votes? I would like some of those who said no to post why.

GSMguy
09/24/2007, 07:03 PM
i love mine.

Fishfreak218
09/24/2007, 07:03 PM
can people say why they would/wouldnt buy it again?
Especially the people who wouldnt buy it again, im curious to know why b/c I'm looking to get one for my 45g. SPS tank
-Josh

sherm71tank
09/24/2007, 07:10 PM
Now 60/40 in favor.

FishTruck
09/24/2007, 08:08 PM
I have one. Had to return twice. First due to bad control box. The second box apparently I ruined by running it with a 2 minute timer.

The after market service was great. They shipped new parts immediately, never asked me for a dime, even when one of the contollers I sent back got lost in the mail. Good people to talk to. Ultimately, ran mine on a six minute timer without incident.

Planning to buy four of them for my new tank.

They are easy to hide. Quiet. TONS of gph per watt and no heat in the tank. They suck so much water against the glass, they actually create more currents than you might guess. I am going to do this instead of a closed loop to keep heat, noise, and electricity consumption down.

Ryan.

carlso63
09/24/2007, 08:16 PM
I think the Vortech is a good pump, if a little pricey.

The only "bad" thing is - if you have small children - the motor tends to get quite warm, even hot. Not good if you have small kids who like to touch your tank...my son touched one and got a burn (not serious, but he cried for an hour)

bureau13
09/24/2007, 08:59 PM
I have two, along with the battery backup. I have had a few problems with the first one I got, which was one of the "originals." That's sort of what you should expect as an early-adopter though, and their customer service has been possibly the best I have ever had, from any company. I've never had to do more than email a note to get a quick response and replacement parts were on their way. Not to say this happens all the time...but it did happen 2-3 times for different things on that first unit. The second has been completely flawless.

jds

sherm71tank
09/24/2007, 10:19 PM
:o Bed time for me. What do you night owls say???

Khaley
09/24/2007, 10:59 PM
Would buy again. I have 2 on a 120 and am getting a third. Have had 0 problems. The peace of mind the battery backup gives is well worth the investment.

HBtank
09/24/2007, 11:46 PM
It looks like the "nos" are not owners, not one post stating someone would not purchase them again. Usually people are more likely to post negative feedback than positive to begin with.....

Anyways, I have two and love them. A big YES.

BTW I have new ones and have nothad one issue.

Blue Reef Girl
09/25/2007, 12:44 AM
Hey Khaley,

Could you show some pictures of your 120 gallon tank. I was thinking one getting one. Would that be enough? I was checking out Wavysea is that better or would you choose Votech?

sherm71tank
09/25/2007, 05:35 PM
^

kraash
09/25/2007, 08:30 PM
I have 3 and I want to purchase 2 or 3 more for my 525, great pumps, no problems so far, I have 2 of them about 4'' apart and the random flow is awesome. I also love the clean look with no cords in the tank.

jnarowe
09/25/2007, 10:52 PM
Oh yeah man, the MP-40 rocks my world. My fish love them and my wife is divorcing me so she can be with an early release Vortech. I can't compete with that kind of flow dammit!

I have 5 and will end up with 7 by the end of the year. They SMOKE the competition! :D

manofcoral
09/26/2007, 07:03 AM
I love mine. Don't you think 3 on a 120 is overkill? I have two on a 260 and there is plenty of flow for my sps.

ronharel
09/26/2007, 07:29 AM
It's going to be your best buy

Small and efficient
Do not heat the water
Very reliable
No need for maintain at least not frequently
Powerful
Much smarter than the competitors
Bigger impeller= stronger and wider flow
With the new controller- the ultimate wave pump for your tank
Price - very reasonable for what you get
There is no other pump today with all these advantages and that price
:rollface:

OliverM3
09/26/2007, 07:31 AM
I'm surprised at how many no votes and not a single explanation as to why they wouldn't buy another one.

Benny Z
09/26/2007, 07:40 AM
i did buy it again. :)

MJAnderson
09/26/2007, 09:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10845736#post10845736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OliverM3
I'm surprised at how many no votes and not a single explanation as to why they wouldn't buy another one.

Well it's a bit of a biased thread. I think anything negative would be jumped on. I know 5 people who bought them and 2 sold them and went back to Tunze, so this percentage seems about right. One was because of the heat of the unit (kids would touch it and get burned) and the other was the dead spots due to the lack of aiming that he had to fix using tunze nanos so he just went back to all Tunzes on a controller.

OliverM3
09/26/2007, 09:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10846168#post10846168 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MJAnderson
Well it's a bit of a biased thread. I think anything negative would be jumped on. I know 5 people who bought them and 2 sold them and went back to Tunze, so this percentage seems about right. One was because of the heat of the unit (kids would touch it and get burned) and the other was the dead spots due to the lack of aiming that he had to fix using tunze nanos so he just went back to all Tunzes on a controller.

I didn't think it was biased and not like it stopped any one before :)
I wonder if the people who returned them for heat had them set right for their glass thickness? I wouldn't think so since it's so easy to adjust but you never know.
Mine only gets warm at full speed and wouldn't burn a child.

shelburn61
09/26/2007, 09:48 AM
How do these compare to modded maxijets?

The Vortech controller is nice, but otherwise seems like I can get the same thing for much less. The MJs are also more aimable...

GSMguy
09/26/2007, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10845622#post10845622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by manofcoral
I love mine. Don't you think 3 on a 120 is overkill? I have two on a 260 and there is plenty of flow for my sps.
i have one on my 50g and im adding number 2 soon.

einsteins
09/26/2007, 09:55 AM
I looked at both the vortech and the Tunze 6101.

I had never owned either brand so I looked at the options available for both....

I went with the tunze for 2 reasons....

1) the vortechs cant have the flow direction adjusted, they can only point straight ahead.

2) I have an AC3 controller and the new Aquasurf module allows for enhanced precision control of the Tunzes to create waves, surges, etc.

After purchasing the 6101's and the aquasurf I am amazed at the wave action it creates in my 120gal tank. I have a 1 to 1.5 inch wave working back and forth in the tank and you can see every polyp in the tank swaying back and forth with the wave.

Anyhow that is why I chose not to purchase the Vortechs.

einsteins

ronharel
09/26/2007, 10:57 AM
I owned both - Tunze 6100 for 5 years. They did excellent job and used to be very reliable I was satisfied from the flow and results. About a year ago I decided to replace them with 2 new Vortech MP40 .There is no doubt that the Vortech are much stronger and more efficient and I see better growth and colors on my SPS corals.

1) the vortechs cant have the flow direction adjusted, they can only point straight ahead.

I'm sorry but this is a complete misunderstanding of the meaning of flow in a reef tank . Go to this link:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

If you were using the Vortech you would understand why there is no need to aim it to other directions - the laminar flow is great and if your reef is built properly you'll get unlimited and variable flow

With the new controller as was represented in MACNA it looks even better and leave the Tunze well back

MJAnderson
09/26/2007, 11:05 AM
Reading the article is exactly why the Vortechs aren't good for laminar flow. It is too wide. With the Tunze I can place one on the side glass towards the back pointed towards the opposite wall. I can place another on the other side toward the front and bingo, I get a circular flow. Unless your tank is 36" wide, I have not seen them able to do this. You can have two and turn them off and on, but then you reduce total flow.

My comment was more about the fact that because you can't point them, they create deadspots around overflows/rockwork.

And your comment was exactly why I said the discussion was biased. Anyone who doesn't love their Vortechs OBVIOUSLY just doesn't know any better...

SD-Fishguy
09/26/2007, 11:32 AM
I purchased one a year ago and just bought another. I have no experience with the tunze.

HBtank
09/26/2007, 11:42 AM
From my unbderstanding "circular flow" is not desirable, that would entail every part of the tank recieving flow in the same direction at all times... IME my coral hates this, so for me it makes it kinda moot point, even if it does keep detrius suspended better than aiming them at eachother, as this seem to create more turbulence.

And once the WWD is out and people start incorporating occilating flow and wave making capabilities from the vortechs, they will be hard to beat....

GPH numbers really go out the window with strong occilating flow, it is far better at kepping anythining suspended than any type of laminar flow as it eliminates deadspots and it is far less irritating to corals from what I have seen.

Anyways, they are both great, but with an 80g I have no room to spare and for the saem GPH I would have a huge amount of space taken up by bulky powerheads. No thank you.

MJAnderson
09/26/2007, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10847183#post10847183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HBtank
From my unbderstanding "circular flow" is not desirable, that would entail every part of the tank recieving flow in the same direction at all times... IME my coral hates this, so for me it makes it kinda moot point, even if it does keep detrius suspended better than aiming them at eachother, as this seem to create more turbulence.

And once the WWD is out and people start incorporating occilating flow and wave making capabilities from the vortechs, they will be hard to beat....

GPH numbers really go out the window with strong occilating flow, it is far better at kepping anythining suspended than any type of laminar flow as it eliminates deadspots and it is far less irritating to corals from what I have seen.

Anyways, they are both great, but with an 80g I have no room to spare and for the saem GPH I would have a huge amount of space taken up by bulky powerheads. No thank you.

The article mentioned above makes the arguement that circular flow (a gyree tank) is the most effective for corals. Strong oscillating flow is what you should avoid (depending on how you do it), if you believe the study. In my frag tank I have this type of flow and I switch direction once a month so my corals don't grow sideways.

mark728
09/26/2007, 11:53 AM
3 things that made my reef tanks better than most
GEO 618 CALC/REACTOR

MY HQI 250W SE 12K REEFLUX SETUPS

MY VORTECH PUMPS

would not do a reef tank without these vortech pumps they are great you get what you pay for i had a problem with a battery backup took it to my local fish store 3 days later had a new one no ? a brand new one and i think it was my fault some water got into the plugs and shorted it out .great company .buy the best once and forget about it .

The Grim Reefer
09/26/2007, 11:55 AM
I got one. Had a stalling problem. Got a new wet frame. fixed the stalling problem but if I ran the pump more than maybe half speed it was a little noisey, not bad but more than I expected. Once the viberation from the pump caused it to pull the last pad for the cord off the tank I took if off. Only then did I realize how loud the thing had become. I replaced it with a couple of Korillia 4's. Very disapointed. One expensive paper weight.

OliverM3
09/26/2007, 12:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10847280#post10847280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I got one. Had a stalling problem. Got a new wet frame. fixed the stalling problem but if I ran the pump more than maybe half speed it was a little noisey, not bad but more than I expected. Once the viberation from the pump caused it to pull the last pad for the cord off the tank I took if off. Only then did I realize how loud the thing had become. I replaced it with a couple of Korillia 4's. Very disapointed. One expensive paper weight.

You should give it another shot. Sounds like it wasn't lined up.
I haven't heard a loud one yet.
When I move mine I turn it up full blast then reach in and move the wet side till it's silent.

The Grim Reefer
09/26/2007, 12:55 PM
Yep, just pulled that baby right off there without trying every trick in the book to get rid of the noise/vibration first. :rolleye1:

HBtank
09/26/2007, 01:07 PM
That's a real bummer, sounds like yours was defective..

Did you send it in to Ecotech? From what I understand, they will work on it until your rpoblem is fixed and test it to make sure it is working perfect before returning it. This customer service was big factor in me making the dive....

How long ago was it? I know they have also made modifications as well to fix some early isssues..

HBtank
09/26/2007, 01:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10847260#post10847260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MJAnderson
The article mentioned above makes the arguement that circular flow (a gyree tank) is the most effective for corals. Strong oscillating flow is what you should avoid (depending on how you do it), if you believe the study. In my frag tank I have this type of flow and I switch direction once a month so my corals don't grow sideways.

That what not the conclusion I formed.

First, I would like to see this statement referenced in more detail:

"15-22cm/s........ These velocities are within the range of ideal flow speeds for optimum particle capture, respiration and photosynthesis of many corals."

And second, he even states that he is unable to measure local velocities of turbulent flow:

"but rather it means that either the flow was not properly aligned with the flow meter or the sum of the multidirectional flows had a net velocity of 0cm/s.

And lastly, this is exactly what waveboxes, surge generators an and the new WWD claim to be able to do better than anything else, making it outside the scope of his study.

"Although reef aquariums are an attempt at recreating a natural environment, trying to reproduce surge with the scale and energy of the natural environment would take tremendous effort and resources"

That is the whole point, with ridiculous GPH powerheads like tunze and vortech you can create more natural flow and still get the velocities needed....

Not to mention my tank looks nothing like this tank shown and is not a frag tank. Those octos looks like trees in a hurricane.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature_album/figure3.jpg/variant/medium

Just like most things in this hobby, that article was more opinion than science.

His own reference of how inadequate laminar flow measurements are in a turbulent setup was a much better article in regards to recreating natural flow:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000831181254/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/aug/features/1/default.asp

The Grim Reefer
09/26/2007, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10847767#post10847767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HBtank
That's a real bummer, sounds like yours was defective..

Did you send it in to Ecotech? From what I understand, they will work on it until your rpoblem is fixed and test it to make sure it is working perfect before returning it. This customer service was big factor in me making the dive....

How long ago was it? I know they have also made modifications as well to fix some early isssues..

No, havent sent it in yet. Got it like 6 or 8 months ago. I prepaid for the driver update so I need to get that anyway.

SDguy
09/26/2007, 01:47 PM
I borrowed one from a local reefer. I really liked it. I would buy one, and will as soon as the wireless controller is out and available with the pump. I *really* like how little room it takes up in the tank.

MJAnderson
09/26/2007, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10847926#post10847926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HBtank
That what not the conclusion I formed.

First, I would like to see this statement referenced in more detail:

"15-22cm/s........ These velocities are within the range of ideal flow speeds for optimum particle capture, respiration and photosynthesis of many corals."

And second, he even states that he is unable to measure local velocities of turbulent flow:

"but rather it means that either the flow was not properly aligned with the flow meter or the sum of the multidirectional flows had a net velocity of 0cm/s.

And lastly, this is exactly what waveboxes, surge generators an and the new WWD claim to be able to do better than anything else, making it outside the scope of his study.

"Although reef aquariums are an attempt at recreating a natural environment, trying to reproduce surge with the scale and energy of the natural environment would take tremendous effort and resources"

That is the whole point, with ridiculous GPH powerheads like tunze and vortech you can create more natural flow and still get the velocities needed....

Not to mention my tank looks nothing like this tank shown and is not a frag tank. Those octos looks like trees in a hurricane.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature_album/figure3.jpg/variant/medium

Just like most things in this hobby, that article was more opinion than science.

His own reference of how inadequate laminar flow measurements are in a turbulent setup was a much better article in regards to recreating natural flow:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000831181254/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/aug/features/1/default.asp

So his opinion, published in a magazine and backed up with research, is not as valid as yours which is backed up with 'my corals have never looked better'?

ronharel
09/26/2007, 02:50 PM
MJAnderson - I'm trying to understand what is your bottom line?
You're satisfied with your Tunze it's fine - and it's not a bad product. I belive that the Vortech is much better but since you have never used them we don't have any common denominator discuss it.
Somebody else is satisfied with his Maxi Jet and it's also fine

More than 72% here voted that they would buy another Vortech I think that it's quite a majority of satisfied users.

Most of the answers here described positive reaction on the reef!!!!!

And another thing - On the Tunze pump there is no American flag.........

HBtank
09/26/2007, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10848231#post10848231 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MJAnderson
So his opinion, published in a magazine and backed up with research, is not as valid as yours which is backed up with 'my corals have never looked better'?

That was far from what I said. I guess you did not even bother reading my last post.

I never said his opinion was not valid.... If you do want my real "opinion", it is that his work pretty irrelevant when considering the equipment we are referencing.

He is working with maxijets and hagen powerheads...... DId you not even see that? You are comparing 200 GPH powerheads to 3000 GPH powerheads...

I could see Gyree being usefull if you are trying to obtain the conditions for SPS with much less powerfull equipment, but in reference to Vortechs or Tunze set up in a turbulent situation it really does not fit..

In fact, I might argue that the high GPH of Tunze and Vortech may exceed the 22 cm/s your article referenced in a gyree situation. It is just not needed, that is why people buy these pumps in the first place, to have high turbulent flow, or controlled flow with the cm/s values SPS like being easily reached.

That article was hardly loaded with "research" and included ZERO data. He had three references, with the only one I could actually look up not even mentioning gyree setups at all and in fact focusing on setting up good turbulent systems and the inability of even measuring turbulent systems with his "methods".

I guess where you saw "gyree is the best method for any setup", I saw "gyree can be a usefull tool if needed". Again, check his own reference for a paper with much more substantial research and is much more helpfull to our situation.

sherm71tank
09/26/2007, 05:57 PM
Lots of good information here but lets keep it civilized mmmk!!

jnarowe
09/26/2007, 06:20 PM
mmmm...no. We haven't had a visit from a TunzeBot yet dude!

sherm71tank
09/26/2007, 06:30 PM
You must miss them. Sadist!

GSMguy
09/26/2007, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10849953#post10849953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
mmmm...no. We haven't had a visit from a TunzeBot yet dude!

Dude your bordering on a Tunze haterbot.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

JK

No wait your a TunzeBot hater not a tunze hater.. i guess thats ok ;)

MJAnderson
09/26/2007, 06:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10848542#post10848542 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ronharel
MJAnderson - I'm trying to understand what is your bottom line?
You're satisfied with your Tunze it's fine - and it's not a bad product. I belive that the Vortech is much better but since you have never used them we don't have any common denominator discuss it.
Somebody else is satisfied with his Maxi Jet and it's also fine

More than 72% here voted that they would buy another Vortech I think that it's quite a majority of satisfied users.

Most of the answers here described positive reaction on the reef!!!!!

And another thing - On the Tunze pump there is no American flag.........

My point is that, unless you have the research to back it up, you shouldn't post this:

"If you were using the Vortech you would understand why there is no need to aim it to other directions - the laminar flow is great and if your reef is built properly you'll get unlimited and variable flow

With the new controller as was represented in MACNA it looks even better and leave the Tunze well back"

and then go on to argue that random flow is better for your corals. If you believe that random flow is better, then you shouldn't need a controller. Put a Vortech on each side of your tank and point them at each other and turn it up to 100% and you will create random flow. If you think laminar flow is better, get 2 Vortech on a controller and flip back and forth and get 1/2 the laminar flow you could get by getting 2 tunze and arranging them for a circular pattern and run them 100%. Because the Vortech have such a dispersed pattern, you can only generate chaotic flow when 2 are on at the same time (unless you have a very wide or very long tank). To get laminar flow, you need to have one turned off, cutting your total output in half.

jnarowe
09/26/2007, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10850105#post10850105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
Dude your bordering on a Tunze haterbot.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

JK

No wait your a TunzeBot hater not a tunze hater.. i guess thats ok ;)

Good point though. I'll stop harping on them and find something else to amuse myself...what will it be? How about disturbing avatars?? :lol:

bmwaaron
09/26/2007, 09:01 PM
I have 1 Vortech and a Wavebox in my 90 gallon and will be adding 3 more when I get the 210. I defiantly wont miss the big wavebox in the tank although it has served its purpose well. I'm very excited for the new wireless drivers and the different modes they will provide.
I would Highly recommend the Vortech with the new drivers. I did have some stalling issues with the pump for the first couple days but I turned the pump up past 80% and its gone away and I can run it at any speed now. I like the ability to run 3000 gph with very little power consumption while keeping the heat out of the tank.

jefft321
09/26/2007, 10:06 PM
I definately prefer it over a Tunze.

sherm71tank
09/27/2007, 07:46 PM
:D

sherm71tank
09/29/2007, 09:05 PM
:) Alright then. I'm ordering two of them for my 90 BB. You can bet I'll post any problems with them. I expect to NOT send them in every few months for repair either.....

jnarowe
09/29/2007, 09:07 PM
:lol: Hey I resemble that! :rolleyes:

rishma
09/29/2007, 09:30 PM
I think I want two.....but I keep holding off for the wireless because I do not want to fuss around with them later.

sherm71tank
09/29/2007, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10871097#post10871097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rishma
I think I want two.....but I keep holding off for the wireless because I do not want to fuss around with them later.

I've been holding off on ordering for quite a long time because of this. I hope to be taken care of. I know some guys that speak good engrish if not.

rishma
09/29/2007, 09:53 PM
I really think Tim and company are upstanding guys, just a little new at this whole product developments and deployment thing. Other than the slow deployment, everyone seems to love them. Nobody is perfect....I am a damn good engineer, but not the best marketer. I have not doubt they will take care of you.

I am planning to set up my 80 bb again (have a small tank now). I cant wait to see how the VT's do in your tank. I would love to have only two VT's an no dead spots. I want it simple. Please share your results.

cheers

sherm71tank
09/29/2007, 10:02 PM
Be sure that I will share my results rishma! I put my order in through a well known vendor this weekend and I hope for the best. Thanks to RC helping in this decision.

opiumpipez
09/30/2007, 11:10 AM
well i just spent countless hours reading up on vortech and tunze pumps.

so right now im kinda beat from reading. however, i am very excited because i just placed my order for a vortech and i cannot wait to receive it (hopefully by wed).

tkeracer619
09/30/2007, 01:00 PM
I don't own one but have had one loaned to me for a month....

So now that its gone.... and I didn't spend any money on it in the first place..... would I buy one? Yeah, I think I would. Two on the wireless controller with battery backup.

msn711
10/01/2007, 01:14 PM
I love mine, but I want to add that for those of you thinking about ordering, just start with one and see if you actually need another. I have 1 in my 120, and as far as I can tell, there are no dead spots. I tested this by putting food in the tank before any fish went in, and the food never makes it to the bottom of the tank.

Just trying to save some folks some money. The vortech is a great product, but there's no need to go overboard until you've seen for yourself how your tank/corals like the current.

And be careful with that pin spacer!

sherm71tank
10/01/2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the tip! Anything else I should know about these pumps?

kuyatwo
10/02/2007, 11:26 PM
Definetly worth the money just cant wait for the wireless driver to come out...aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh

sherm71tank
10/04/2007, 07:35 PM
Pumps came in today. Adjusted the pin spacers and hooked them up. Both of them are running very quiet right away. No clicking sounds no humming (unless I put my ear right next to it anyway). One of them mounted on the lower left front corner of the tank blowing across the front and one on the lower right back corner blowing across the back of the tank behind the rock. Between the two pumps it is certainly not to much flow. There is even a spot in the front right of the tank where some detritus is collecting. In fairness I removed 5 circulation pumps from the tank though. I think I'll be putting at least one of the Koralia 4's back in. The tank looks much nicer though without the cords and pumps in there. So far I like them but I'm not blown away by the flow either.

ReefRockerLive
10/04/2007, 08:40 PM
I have a Vortech, but sometimes when powered at 100% is makes a loud rattling noise. Is my Vortech defective?

hatfielj
10/04/2007, 09:43 PM
Would I buy again?
Yes!
In fact, I just placed an order for a second vortech to add to my 120 display. I am planning on having them opposing one another from opposite ends of the tank and using the wireless controller to stimulate varying currents. I can't wait to play with the wave controller. However, I am a little uneasy about how much money I just dropped on that thing! Yikes!

hurleycr
10/06/2007, 10:07 AM
bought two a few months ago, and will be buying at least two more.

hurleycr
10/06/2007, 10:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10906474#post10906474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefRockerLive
I have a Vortech, but sometimes when powered at 100% is makes a loud rattling noise. Is my Vortech defective?

no it needs to be aligned... my did the same thing. Take it apart make sure your pins are set in correclty, add the pad, and then put it together turn it on at 100% and slowley rotate and move up and down until it is as quite as it gets, let it run overnight should be gone by morning.

sherm71tank
10/06/2007, 03:43 PM
Jonathan came over yesterday to check out them out. He noticed I didn't put that wet side cover on the pumps. They were still running great without it. I pulled them this morning and put the covers on. Still running as quiet as before. I'm holding off on voting yet but so far I'm glad I got them.

jnarowe
10/06/2007, 03:52 PM
hehehehe...too much Old Crustacean brother! :lol:

Did you go by World Market yet?

sherm71tank
10/06/2007, 04:07 PM
No I haven't changed out of my pajamas yet! :beer: I don't think I'm going to either. Maybe tomorrow I'll get down there.

jnarowe
10/06/2007, 04:16 PM
I guess one of US should call them right?

My head is killing me...I may have to move to Arizona if this keeps up. I can't take any sinus meds and the pressure change between yesterday and today has my head feeling like a brick.

jnarowe
10/06/2007, 04:16 PM
and BTW, I can't believe you bailed out before all the beer was gone...

sherm71tank
10/06/2007, 04:26 PM
I was blaming it on the Snow Cap! I had planned on working on those eductors today but I don't feel like doing much so I doubt I will and it's going to be an early night for me.

jnarowe
10/06/2007, 05:26 PM
Oh well, you are getting old! :lol:

sherm71tank
10/08/2007, 01:50 PM
Should these pumps run so HOT? Both of them are running at about 140 degrees. I assume it's normal and they are both still silent.

ReefRockerLive
10/08/2007, 01:53 PM
Yes, the outer part runs very hot.

jnarowe
10/08/2007, 01:57 PM
That's about as hot as mine. I am not sure I understand that, as I was under the impression that mine were running hot because of the tank room temps.

How warm is your room temp.?

sherm71tank
10/08/2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks ReefRocker! Did you get yours to quiet down any?

kzickovich
10/08/2007, 01:59 PM
I have 3 running love em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sherm71tank
10/08/2007, 02:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10929105#post10929105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
That's about as hot as mine. I am not sure I understand that, as I was under the impression that mine were running hot because of the tank room temps.

How warm is your room temp.?

It's 69 degrees directly above the tank. I'm sure room temp is a bit lower than that.

ReefRockerLive
10/08/2007, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10929114#post10929114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sherm71tank
Thanks ReefRocker! Did you get yours to quiet down any?

Unfortunately, it's still loud. Getting this pump to quiet down has been a hassle because I left it running straight for 3 days and it did not quiet down one bit. I'm convinced that something is wrong with the motor because I hear super loud vibrating and grinding sounds coming from the motor. It's so loud that I can hear it from upstairs! :o

Has anyone sent their pumps in for repair? How long does it usually take?

jnarowe
10/08/2007, 02:05 PM
That's disturbing dude.

FuzzyLogic
10/08/2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah, if the dry side motor is making loud noises something is wrong. I can barely hear the motors on my Vortechs, they kinda sound like the bearings on skateboard wheels or the wheels on roller skates. The wet side pump assemblies on my VTs make a vibrating/dull roaring noise at full speed. Yes, I can hear them running at full speed from the next room.

I originally had two of the early release version of the Vortechs (old style drive shaft and wear bearing) and had to send one back to IceCap for service because it was vibrating and was much louder than the other one. They sent it back to me with the new version of the wet side pump assembly. That did quiet things down a bunch but the new version pump is still louder than my other older version pump :rolleyes:. For me the total turn around time from IceCap was about 1 week.

jdoenumber2
10/08/2007, 06:13 PM
Will they weaken the tanks seals from the stress created?

sherm71tank
11/04/2007, 03:54 PM
My wireless wave drivers are on the way finally! How's everyone doing with theirs? I'm holding out on voting until I get them installed.

jnarowe
11/04/2007, 03:58 PM
TROLL.

sherm71tank
11/04/2007, 04:05 PM
Just because your tank room conditions are so horrible that it ruins all of your equipment does not make me a troll. ;)

jnarowe
11/04/2007, 04:27 PM
Dude, your pumps are just as hot as mine. But yours are on glass so it's safer. I wonder if any of that heating is being radiated into your tank water? :p

I hope you install them so the blinking lights can't be seen from the living room. Or else keep a bucket by the sofa for when I come over. :rolleyes:

sherm71tank
11/04/2007, 04:37 PM
I had planned on mounting them on the ceiling fan blades. They are wireless right?

saltkreep
11/04/2007, 04:46 PM
I have had mine for 6 months. there was a problem with the inner assembly bushing. there are others that have had this problem, and it has been covered by vortec. It's still by far the best circulation pump I have ever owned. I would never want to be without it! Get one!!!!

jnarowe
11/04/2007, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11116264#post11116264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sherm71tank
I had planned on mounting them on the ceiling fan blades. They are wireless right?

Well, they are wireless, except for all the wires. :lol:

jnarowe
11/04/2007, 05:35 PM

coraladdict
11/04/2007, 08:01 PM
Bought two a year ago and yes I did have issues such as stalling and noise but IC backed up there warranty with no hassle.Now they are operating smoothly and with the new drivers all I can say is they are very efficient and I would recommend them to anybody that has the budjet for them.I also like the battery backup,this is a must for any reefer...considering all the money we put in or tanks ,it's an insurance policy!

sherm71tank
11/04/2007, 08:32 PM
Good to hear! Keep them coming!

Fish E
11/05/2007, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10851159#post10851159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bmwaaron
I have 1 Vortech and a Wavebox in my 90 gallon and will be adding 3 more when I get the 210. I defiantly wont miss the big wavebox in the tank although it has served its purpose well.

I was considering a wavebox. What did you like/dislike about it? How do the vortechs compare for better or worse when compared to the wavebox?

sherm71tank
11/09/2007, 11:13 PM
Sweet! The WWD's came in today. VERY easy to swap the controllers out. After a few (15 or so) minutes of tinkering I figured out I like the pulse mode best. I like the feed mode and ease of use. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a night mode. Any one else think this should have been included with the programming? I'm still going to vote yes right now but the night mode would have made it an emphatic YES! I haven't experienced any error codes at all since I had them.

sherm71tank
11/10/2007, 12:15 AM
^ I'm surprised at the near 70 - 30 split so far. Why does the 30 feel that way? I love mine!!!! I think I'm going to buy another!!!!

jnarowe
11/10/2007, 01:28 AM
yeah, pulse mode seems the best for me too, but when I get them all swapped out, I will start playing with other modes. What do you think about the anti-sync slave?

JCTewks
11/10/2007, 01:55 AM
You guys could always "aquasurf your vortech" :lol:

recife111
11/10/2007, 05:43 AM
Tunze and Vortech are good pumps.

Both have pluses and minuses.

The vortech is small but is loud especially if you have more than one.

The Tunze 7095 have more features and the Vortech driver/controller has limit features.

Vortech is wireless however don’t expect to have no cables as it has not less cables than the streams.

Not sure on price but the Tunze 6100 could work out cheaper if you have more than 4 pumps as you need to pay more for the so called wireless driver/controller. not sure which part is wireless really.

You can connect the Tunze to some computers like IKS and Profilux, but you cant add the Vortech to a controller.

As you can see no pump is better than the other.

coraladdict
11/10/2007, 09:13 AM
What does the Tunzes have as features that the Vortechs don't have?
Just curious

coraladdict
11/10/2007, 09:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11154467#post11154467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coraladdict
Just curious

I meant ,besides plugging in a computer?

jnarowe
11/10/2007, 10:08 AM
Don't laugh Jeff, if Eco-Tech doesn't release an actual multi-pump controller or a software integration unit, everyone will be doing that mod.

RobbyG
11/10/2007, 10:35 AM
I don't own one and have not voted but I suspect why you have not heard from the No voters is that they don't want to get into a long argument with the Yes people. Reading this thread and looking at the numbers it would give me pause before I bought one. I especially did not like the part about it getting so hot that it could burn a childs fingers, that sounds too hot for my liking.

sherm71tank
11/10/2007, 10:57 AM
This is just my luck! This morning I check out the pumps and one of them is not working. The controller to the pump just has a red light on and I can't reset it. I unplugged it and it does the same thing. Looks like I need to contact Ecotech join the masses that have sent their NEW equipment in for repair!!!! I just have to laugh about it!

jnarowe
11/10/2007, 11:02 AM
Only red? No yellow, green or blue? Maybe your house is too warm?

sherm71tank
11/10/2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah it just constant red. I'm going to pull it apart and put the MP40 controller back on and send WWD in. Very funny - :rollface: my house to warm. I'm not nearly as patient with this kind of stuff as you are Jonathan. I like to think I have better things to do with my time. Like call Direct TV technical support fix my goddamn HD channel reception today. That hasn't worked right since it was installed. . . . Yeah, that should be MY problem!

GSMguy
11/10/2007, 12:01 PM
the Heat should not be an issue my WWD and pump run much cooler than before with previous driver.

GSMguy
11/10/2007, 12:01 PM
the Heat should not be an issue my WWD and pump run much cooler than before with previous driver.

jnarowe
11/10/2007, 12:38 PM
I love mine!!!! I think I'm going to buy another!!!!

Buy me a couple while you're at it...I need a few more! :D

recife111
11/10/2007, 01:16 PM

The Tunze has a moonlight feature which slows the pumps at night.
It also has a night mode.

You can change the settings at the controller. no need to crawl under the tank to get to the driver box.

Settings are much easier to change.

coraladdict
11/10/2007, 02:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11155661#post11155661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by recife111
The Tunze has a moonlight feature which slows the pumps at night.
It also has a night mode.

You can change the settings at the controller. no need to crawl under the tank to get to the driver box.

Settings are much easier to change.

I never thought that the seas were more quiet at night...they are influenced by the moon etc ,so I don't see this feature as natural.I actually crank my pumps up at night , this way detritus is blowned off rocks while the clams are closed and it also feeds corals etc.

As for settings , mine are are very accessible mind you that I do have to bend down a bit :) but once they come out with the multicontroller we'll have some interesting programme options to choose from...I just can't wait.
However,I'm not saying the Tunzes are not up to par ,I can't say anything about them besides that they're bulky and intruisive compared to the Vortechs but that doesn't necessarily mean they are not worth the money.
JMO

ronharel
11/10/2007, 03:10 PM
coraladdict

mostly at night the sea is calm ecept of stormy nights. The wind is down and the fish need some rest at night after a long day of swimming.
you can change the mood for lagoon mode
As for the differances
It's all about technology and personal preferences
Tunze used to be the only product in the market for a while and they are a good product and reliable. But there are few differences that one should conceder

Size of the pump
Heating the water
Cables running in the water
Size of propeller in Tunze is much similar to impeller
Efficiency
Service
What our corals will like the best

In most of these criteria vortech will win without a problem
I'm still using my old 6100 Tunze together with Vortech but enjoy the Vortech more

t5Nitro
11/10/2007, 03:46 PM
How many of you that like the VorTech run them close to a wall. For instance, the outside part of the VorTech is maybe 1/2" away from touching a wall because the tank is close to the wall. Is heat generated from the motor a problem in situations like this?

What about corals somewhat near the VorTech. Maybe 7" away. Would the VorTech blast the tissue right off? How do they work if you had one VorTech on the side glass and 1 on the back wall so if corals were close to the VorTech on one side, you could avoid the "too close to powerhead" problem?

Efficiency - Are VorTech's using less energy than Tunze?

hurleycr
11/10/2007, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11156311#post11156311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by t5Nitro
How many of you that like the VorTech run them close to a wall. For instance, the outside part of the VorTech is maybe 1/2" away from touching a wall because the tank is close to the wall. Is heat generated from the motor a problem in situations like this?

What about corals somewhat near the VorTech. Maybe 7" away. Would the VorTech blast the tissue right off? How do they work if you had one VorTech on the side glass and 1 on the back wall so if corals were close to the VorTech on one side, you could avoid the "too close to powerhead" problem?

Efficiency - Are VorTech's using less energy than Tunze?

mine are just a touch over 3/4" with no issues. wall not even warm.... and I have two. that are maybe 20" a part.

t5Nitro
11/10/2007, 04:50 PM
How about the pulsing modes, will it work correctly if one VorTech is on the backglass and one on the side of the tank? If I would get these I don't want them that close to some of the corals.

cato
11/10/2007, 05:35 PM
I have 3 on my 150 and want at least 2 more!! No probs with any so far.

hurleycr
11/10/2007, 07:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11156606#post11156606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by t5Nitro
How about the pulsing modes, will it work correctly if one VorTech is on the backglass and one on the side of the tank? If I would get these I don't want them that close to some of the corals.

I can not speak to this as mine do not have coral in front of them. but the flow is somewhat gental for the amount coming out its a very wide pattern and add the pulsing effect it wouldn't be blasted like a traditional powerhead.

but once again I don't know as my tank is coral-less for the time being.

jnarowe
11/10/2007, 09:03 PM
I just got back from visiting Sherman and was surprised by his Vortechs. He has a 75g (I think, or maybe 90g) and both pumps are monted on opposite ends at the very bottom. He has one on 100% pulse and the other is constant on. The bizzarre thing is that he had a really nice wave going with just the one pump pulsing. It looked great.

sherm71tank
11/10/2007, 09:04 PM
I got the MP40 controller put back on. I have the good WWD running on pulse mode and have a nice 1/2" wave going in the tank. I was surprised to see this with just one pump (I have the other one just running wide open). I actually think this will probably be the best mode to run in anyway.

sherm71tank
11/10/2007, 09:05 PM
Doh!!!! You beat me to it! Post whore! It's a 90 gal.

recife111
11/10/2007, 09:15 PM
Size of the pump
Heating the water
Cables running in the water
Size of propeller in Tunze is much similar to impeller
Efficiency
Service
What our corals will like the best

In most of these criteria vortech will win without a problem

Vortech will win if you make the criteria suit it,

the vortech is loud especially if you have more than one. the pulse mode is even worse.
you cant angle them.
big cables outside your tank, you can hide the stream cables,
Heating in the water is not a problem for everyone. heating the water can be a good thing.
The tunze pumps push more water forward which can be better in long tanks.

So you can see they Both have pluses and minuses. no pump is the clear winner.

jnarowe
11/10/2007, 09:20 PM
I'm no whore. I only do it for money! :D

sherm71tank
11/20/2007, 09:58 PM
Alright, my replacement driver came in today. Hooked it up and it's working great. Is it my imagination or does the new WWD push more water? I swear it looks like more flow than before with it set 100%.

jnarowe
11/20/2007, 10:12 PM
From what Tim has told me, the WWD runs the motor more efficiently, so I guess that could translate to more flow.

melev
11/21/2007, 07:13 AM
Yes, and will probably buy another one in the future. First though, I gotta spend that much money on Luminarc III reflectors.

BreadmanMike
11/21/2007, 07:51 AM
I'm dieing to try these, but they won't work on 1" acrylic. :(

Hopefully they will get some versions made for thicker tanks soon.

DT's_Reef
11/21/2007, 09:14 AM
I just bought a Vortech and like how it works, but it is a loud pump in my opinion. Louder than Tunze anyway. But, I really like having no powerheads in the tank and no cords going over the euro bracing. Very clean looking setup despite the pump stuck on the side of the tank.

IPT
11/21/2007, 04:57 PM
I agree that it makes little more noise than I would like. It's not "loud", but noticable. Sort of like the fridge (but of course not as loud). None the less, I love mine. Just ordered another one! My fish love the pulse effect. They look like they are surfing in the swaying current,sSo do my SPS's polyps. A beautiful thing.

jnarowe
11/21/2007, 05:06 PM
I have to add that I have multiple pumps and have found that they can make differening levels of noise. But, a well aligned pump that is within spec. is virtually silent. With the WWD, they ramp up and down, and that adds some noise, but when I got my first WWD and put it on a pump, I could not hear trhe pump at all. When I got my second one and put it on a pump, it made quite a bit of noise.. Switching it to a different pump brought it back to extremely quiet.

So my point is, if you are having unacceptable noise levels, it may mean that there is an issue with the pump alignment or motor itself, and I would contact support to see if it can be resolved.

Obviously, a powerhead that is fully submerged like a Tunze would naturally make less noise to you, but they may still be making noise that your fish can hear.

Willy315
12/09/2007, 12:04 PM
Id have to ride the fence on weather or not Id buy another..

Pros:

Small footprint in tank
Lots of flow
Quiet (mode dependent)
Customer service is top notch they WILL do their best to take care of your issues with fast turn around

Cons:

Cost
Noise (mode dependent, pulse mode CAN make the outside motor loud)
(I have had my wet side repaired twice for noise issues and my motor
replaced once for noise)
Lack of aiming (although not really needed)

Heat on the new motor with the wireless controller is 108ºF just barely warm to the touch.

So as you can see as many others have mentioned good pros and cons to buying a vortech.. My opinion is its a GREAT idea just needs some tuning to make them a bit less noisey. And to all those that have theres in a LOUD tank room good for ya mine is in my living room and hearing it over my sequence dart is NOT acceptable IMO.

sherm71tank
12/09/2007, 12:11 PM
It would be interesting to see the results of a new poll taken a year from now. I hope I'm wrong but I think the percentage of "no" votes will grow.
This morning I switched modes from constant "low" setting for my improvised "night mode" to pulse and the WWD went haywire (erratic flashing lights). I thought "oh crap" because I already sent a brand new one in for repair. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's working fine for now....

ycnibrc
12/09/2007, 12:29 PM
I can not stand the noise on the pulse mode so I set it at the reef crest mode and it works pretty good and lest noise. BTW I have 2 in my 84'' tank and the wave push all the way across.

jnarowe
12/09/2007, 12:30 PM
With 27% to the negative, that doesn't seem to good right now. And what about people who want to change their vote??

jnarowe
12/09/2007, 12:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11347671#post11347671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ycnibrc
I can not stand the noise on the pulse mode so I set it at the reef crest mode and it works pretty good and lest noise. BTW I have 2 in my 84'' tank and the wave push all the way across.

I wish I could use them in reef crest mode...so you are getting a wave in that mode?

sjm817
12/09/2007, 12:42 PM
I'm on the fence and need to decide today (getting a deal). I have a pair of Tunze 6100s, 7095 now on a 180. Thinking of the Vortechs, primarily just for the small size.

All of the loud posts have me rethinking it. IMO, the 6100s border on being too loud. I would not be happy if the Vortechs were louder. I'm looking at a pair of MP40W pumps.

What is the best way to set them up to run quietly?

sherm71tank
12/09/2007, 01:06 PM
sjm817: Mine are quiet in all modes except pulse. But they are still quiet enough they don't bother me. Then again I'm running a really loud Beckett skimmer ;) .

jnarowe: That's my point. Many people who voted yes may change their mind, many already have and this thread hasn't been up very long.

sjm817
12/09/2007, 01:21 PM
I have a basement sump. The only thing audible in the display area are the powerheads and canopy fans. Yeah, quiet compared to a Beckett skimmer doesn't really help ;)

sjm817
12/09/2007, 02:12 PM
Another question;

What is the minimum distance below the surface @ full speed where the pump doesn't pull down a Vortex?

ycnibrc
12/09/2007, 03:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11347682#post11347682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
I wish I could use them in reef crest mode...so you are getting a wave in that mode?

hi Jon
in the reef crest mode when the vortech send out the strongest pulse it create a little wave on top the the water surface across the length of the tank. Not the kind of back and forth wave like the wave box but a nice gentle wave motion go across the top of the water.

ronharel
12/09/2007, 03:28 PM
Well guys - what I can see and hear from users in the last year and hundreds of posts written I have the feeling that the product is good comparing to the alternative . There are some bugs that users reported and the bottom line is that the service is excellent.
Some complain about noise and some others said it quite. Sometimes the alignment is difficult but most of the times it's pretty quite. Why vote again ? And if the Tunze was broken you'll change your mind again.... Both products are good with some technological advantages for the Vortech. The potential for the near future is big and just imagine what possibilities we'll have in the future wireless controller. I belive that we'll be able to see some control abilities that we don't have right now.

As for mine - 2 work more than a year without noise - no problems or replacement - the controller is great and I'm satisfied

Ding2daDong
12/09/2007, 04:23 PM
All this talk without any pictures?

-Matthew

:D