PDA

View Full Version : Bak-Pak not skimming much - Please help!

AliKat
09/25/2007, 01:38 AM
My Bak-Pak isn't skimming much at all, maybe a cup a week. From what I've read, it should be more than that.

I don't have an instruction manual, so I don't know what to look at. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong? I sure would appreciate any advice you can give, and so would my critters.

happyface888
09/25/2007, 09:39 AM
Check your venturi it might need a good cleaning.

BrentN
09/25/2007, 11:19 AM
I have a bakpak on a 55 also. I notice the venturi does need to be cleaned every few months, a hard (calcium?) substance builds up inside the venturi. You know how to adjust the cup, right? Move the rubber ring down for less and dryer skimming, and move it up for more and wetter skimming. I try to keep the bottom of the cup in the middle of the foam head. hth.

AliKat
09/25/2007, 11:22 AM
Which part is the venturi? I know next to nothing about these things.

Also, I noticed that the bottom of the cup (the part that touches the top of the water and that the grime and what not goes through to get up into the cup) also adjusts. It can be lowered or raised. Which one do I want to do?

I can't really move the rubber ring up any more because this skimmer was modified to have a drainage tube, and the drainage tube is inserted.

Thanks for your help!

marino420td
09/25/2007, 11:34 AM
My advice is to get rid of it and buy a better skimmer:)

I have a dual bak pak on my 65 gallon and I am constantly fighting with it to get it working properly. It needs to be cleaned quite often to perform adequately.

I don't quite understand the modification to your skimmer cup. If you could post pictures, that might help.

Tennsquire
09/25/2007, 02:05 PM
Sounds like it's working as designed, which isn't the greatest. I'll admit that I have one in a box in the garage. You can get more production out of it by putting an airstone in the bottom of the reaction chamber and driving it with an airpump. Should help it skim better.

AliKat
09/25/2007, 02:58 PM
I don't have my camera with me right now. Basically there's a hole drilled in the skimmer cup with a tube inserted. The tube is a way to empty out the cup when I'm out of town or feeling lazy. The other side of the tube goes into a bucket that is under the aquarium.

Any other ideas? I don't have a lot of money right now, so I don't think I can get another skimmer. Would I eventually want to set up a sump? The tank is a 55 tall. Don't know if a sump makes sense or even what I would need, price, etc.

happyface888
09/25/2007, 03:43 PM
What pump are you using? I had a cpr on my 45 but switched it out. Put a mj1200 on it and mesh mod it. Than maybe you would get better skimmate.

happyface888
09/25/2007, 03:53 PM
Heres the thread
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

horkn
09/25/2007, 06:45 PM
I get maybe a cup a week with my bakpak on my 35g.

that is using a rio800 rvt pump

using a maxijet 1200 and the venturi adapter should help.

ccoral
09/26/2007, 10:52 AM
you all the amount it skims is dictated by your bioload. A skimmer can only remove the organics that are in the water column. Do you have a high bio load should be the first question? Second if you have not increase bio load for a while. Your skimmer will not collect as much as the first three months your tanks is set up. Each system is a eco-system. check your nitrate and phosphate if they are not rising then the skimmer is working properly.
I have used the back pak for years with a Rio 600 venturi pump not problems. You do not have to buy a new skimmer.

ccoral
09/26/2007, 10:53 AM
Also tech support at cpr is good maybe give them a call or e-mail as they may have a real solution cprusa.com