PDA

View Full Version : Let talk about QUARANTINE TANK

Jar*Head
09/25/2007, 08:51 AM
Good morning fellow Reefers,

As we all know there are all type of pests out there that one upon the time one of us will get it in our beloving system. Some of us will lost everything, some lucky enough and successfully treat, cure and fix the issue.

I would like to talk about different way to set up a quaratine tank.

Before i start, i have a question:

Why can't we have the QT's connected into my main system via using the same sump?

I know some of you SPS expert starting to laugh already. But here is the reason why i ask that question.

I think it is possible to have the QT attach to your main display tank via the sump. I know there are pro/con on everything...

Pro:
- Help with the stability of your parameter, temp, pH, Salinity
- It doesn't take your corals out of their normal evironments
- Avoid stress
Con:
- We may take the chance to have pest coming from the main system into QT but if we set it up properly. It would helps minimize the possibility.

Here is what i have in mind:

I will set up the QT connect into my main sump. The quarantine tank doesn't need to be big. But big enought to hold the amount of corals you want to QTing. Use a separate pump to feed the QT and use Filter sock on both overflow from the tank and QT. Make sure we change out the filter sock prior to it over flow (just incase we have some Pest ended up inside the filter sock). Once QT completed, do 100% water change and scrub everything out.

I think setting up the stand alone QT is too much stress to the corals due to the fluctuation of your parameter, unless you have everything piece of equipment to keep it stable i.e Ca reactor, top off system, chiller, heater etc. I think the biggest cause of death is QT process is the stress from unstable parameter, not just from the dipping alone.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

STeve

fatrip
09/25/2007, 09:03 AM
besides the fact that some critters i think would be able to get through the filter sock...how would you treat an in coming coral that say has Red Bugs? i would say it is a good idea, i do it my self but i do it so that i close off the QT tank when i am QTing an incoming coral. then clean the tank thurrally before putting it back online with the system.

Jar*Head
09/25/2007, 09:31 AM
As for the red bugs, i don't think they laid eggs? Before i add any corals into my system, they all have to go through a series of dip.

Starting with

Fluke dip 45 mins
Interceptor 3hrs
TMPCC 30mins

My purpose for QTing the corals is to prevent the eggs to hatch in the main system. Beside, red bugs are very easy to treat IMO.

fatrip
09/25/2007, 09:45 AM
they are easy to kill but i have found that 3 hours is not enought time to kill them all...three hours wont even kill hermits IME...i usually do a 24h treatment but with that you need a stable system so i just use the QT tank shut off from the main system with a heater. i guess your plan would work i would just feel better and safer in shutting the system out from the main. Also what about QTing your fish you would need to cut the system off as well. But as i said i Personaly would feel safer cutting the system off totally.

Jar*Head
09/25/2007, 09:55 AM
I agree, 3 hrs isn't long enough to kill RB but if you do double or trip the dosage and also use your turkey baster to blast them off before going to the next station. The potential to knock them off your corals is very high.....

Jar*Head
09/25/2007, 08:14 PM
Bumb for more input. Thanks

Bax
09/25/2007, 08:54 PM
I've been mulling this over myself as I am about to rip appart my fish room (closet) and redo it and would like to have a prop and incoming isolation tank in there.

Espacially if space and controlling temps etc. is a challenge, I think such a QT is better than none for sure.

What size filter socks are you considering? As small as 5 microns comes to mind, maybe even 1 on the outfall of the QT.

five.five-six
09/25/2007, 09:12 PM
well, you may consider having the return go through a big UV sterelizer as well enough UV will kill anything :)

Jar*Head
09/25/2007, 09:15 PM
Im thinking of a large filter sock on both tank overflow and QT. I will replace the filter sock twice weekly to avoid overflow.

five.five-six
09/25/2007, 09:20 PM
i am thinking ozone and uv and a filter sock.. or my new idea, only fresh cut frags... like cut them n bag-em

JackKerouac
09/25/2007, 10:51 PM
I like your idea of QT reefer I relly like the benefits :)
If you even dip your corals before to put your new corals inside it should work and I think that the filter socks would keep the possible parrasites to going in the main tank....as you describe it to me it should work

olkeller
09/26/2007, 12:03 AM
do you think the same thing would work for fish too also how big are the smallest of parasites i think ilike the idea of plumbing it through a uv as well

Jar*Head
09/26/2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you folks for the input. U.V is a great idea to zap all possible parasite if you have a good size U.V and the water flow will be super slow.

My LFS did the fresh water dip on all fish when they first come in. That seem to work very well.

As for the filter sock, they pretty much blocking everything. I will get a approx 10 of the extra long filter sock and change them out every couple days. This is what i use in my system now but i will get the longer kind

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~EA1351.html

I will have my QT up and running this weekend. My QT going to be 60x30x12. I will use it as a QT till my tank fully stock then i will turn it into a prop tank.

Jar*Head
09/26/2007, 08:24 AM
BTW, another option for Ozone user folks. You can have the return from your QT go straight into your protein skimmer which you use to run your ozone with. You still need to run filter sock on the skimmer outlet with carbon....

sfsuphysics
09/26/2007, 08:29 AM
I've done this before, the key is to get a small enough size of material so that parasites can't get through it, also this comes at the price of moving less water through it (which should be fine honestly) as you don't want the water to overflow your filtering device. I've found coffee filters work great for this, double or triple them up for safety then after you're done, toss them.

Jar*Head
09/26/2007, 09:08 AM
Thank you sfsphysics, some thought going through my mind but not with the coffee filter. I was thinking about double the filter socks.... As for flow you can always add Powerhead....

Bax
09/26/2007, 08:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10846219#post10846219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
Thank you sfsphysics, some thought going through my mind but not with the coffee filter. I was thinking about double the filter socks.... As for flow you can always add Powerhead....

So, I am wondering which is sufficient, 1 or 5 microns, these are very small particles compared to the 100 micron filter sock many reefers use on their drains.

JE
09/26/2007, 10:52 PM
cant wait till you post pics!!!!! :)

porthios
09/27/2007, 12:51 PM
guess i don't see what's so hard about keeping a completely separate system 'stable'..

Jar*Head
09/27/2007, 01:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10855014#post10855014 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by porthios
guess i don't see what's so hard about keeping a completely separate system 'stable'..

You may have better reefkeeping skill then me :D .

Jar*Head
09/27/2007, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10851816#post10851816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjb81speed
cant wait till you post pics!!!!! :)

Can't wait till i get the stand... hehehehe. Can't do anything till the stand arrive bud...

porthios
09/27/2007, 01:41 PM
i doubt it. i just have a good qt groove on atm..

10g or 20long, lights, heater, powerhead or two, and a sponge filter that runs in the display's sump for a few days before setting up the qt. fill with display's water and 25-50% wc's once a week. i need to improve the lights i'm using but great luck so far..

Jar*Head
09/27/2007, 03:40 PM
I used to do that. What is your plan for topoff?

JE
09/27/2007, 06:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10855340#post10855340 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
Can't wait till i get the stand... hehehehe. Can't do anything till the stand arrive bud...

well then get on that guys butt to get that stand done!!!!!!!!!!:D

Jar*Head
09/27/2007, 08:25 PM
Nah, i'll give him all the time that he needs. Beside, that dude kind big hehehehehe

Big E
09/28/2007, 10:23 AM

I agree............a QT system isn't one if it's tied to the main system.

porthios
09/28/2007, 03:15 PM
'I used to do that. What is your plan for topoff?'

i just topped off by hand every day or two as needed. i run several separate systems though so it's just part of my routine. no reason you couldn't use an ato if you really wanted to i guess..

that said, i put stable in quotes because i think we're a little too fixated on that in this hobby. i really don't think swings of .001-.002sg, couple degrees of temp, etc. are that big of a deal. jmho of course..