PDA

View Full Version : Those lazy, hazy, days of summer...

HumanIMDB
09/25/2007, 01:15 PM
Thought I would share this for those out there, who like me, neglect their tanks a little more in the summer than they do the rest of the year...

Now I am the first to admit that I don't have a hard set schedule for my tank but I normally attend to things within a day or two of when I should be doing them. Normally, I do a 40-50% water change every week, top the tank up with RO/DI every day, feed the tank every two days, etc.

This summer however, it took a little longer to get around to doing maintenance on the tank and those with nanos will agree, it doesn't take long for things to get bad.

Well, as a result of my neglecting the tank, the Sun Coral (http://www.omnipresence.ca/blog/?p=2989) has seen better days and looks hungry, the Green Blastomussa has also seen better days, there is more filamentous algae in the tank than usual, and yesterday we lost the Red Firefish Goby. :(

I did another water change yesterday and the blastomussa seems to be responding well.

I have to get the light on my fuge working again to get some of the nutrients out of the water to help control the algae and let the cleaning crew get caught up. I kept the tank dark for two days last week and may do that again this week.

The experience with the nano has been mostly positive though and with a little effort, lots of research, and a few mistakes I think anyone can do this.

We're starting to firm up plans to get the AGA 92 Corner going over the winter... :D

BurntOutReefer
09/25/2007, 02:15 PM
Look after that Sun....its on the Red List now.