PDA

View Full Version : Damaged by transit... bad packaging

danskim
09/25/2007, 01:47 PM
I bought a used Schuran Jetstream calcium reactor in the RC selling forums. While this isn't relevant to the damage... the seller took more than a week to ship it out after payment.
Anyways, the package came in last week, and when I opened it up, I noticed the damage (and it was filthy dusty and salt creeped up).
It's broken by the top union where it connects to the body.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4234/92986079pt4.jpg

The reactor was really, really poorly packaged. Just one layer on each side of bubble wrap, and it was definitely not snug or tight to prevent movement and damage. Only two sets of nuts were still holding the reactor together... all the others were all over the box.

I asked for a refund, but he wants to do it through UPS damage claim. However, unless the inspectors at UPS are complete fools, I doubt they will reimburse him because it was so poorly packaged. An elementary school child could tell it would definitely break in transit.
Any idea what to do?

SlowCobra
09/25/2007, 02:56 PM
If he doesn't want to refund your money, then you only have a couple of options. 1)Small claims court. 2)UPS isn't going to do anything about it. Not their fault it was poorly packaged. 3)Repair it. Not sure exactly how it is suppose to all go together but I am sure you can get some acrylic rod and weld-on 16 for about $15 shipped from Tapplastic.com. A little time spent cleaning and opening the damaged area then put a new piece of acrylic rod and rebuild the rest of the plumbing. Just throwing out an option for you.

Cheekymonkey
09/25/2007, 03:23 PM
Not to futehr complicate things, are you sure that there isnt some chance it could ahve been cracked ahead of time and just not shown in the pictures. That is a big eBay scam right now, selling someone something broken and letting them deal with the shipper while you keep your money.

Runfrumu
09/25/2007, 04:53 PM
I worked at UPS for about 3 days, and let me tell you, it could be wrapped in 85 layers of bubble wrap and they can break it. Union, being rushed, low pay starting out = your packages get tossed around like clothes in a dryer.

My shipping experiences with them are as follows, in about 10 items shipped with them them have: left a package in my bushes where I didnt find it for 2 days, delivered a PS# with 10 games 10 houses down from me, luckily they were nice people and brought it to us, and we've had 2 dvd players stolen off the dock before delivery at seperate times.

Not saying they're all bad people working there, but a few can ruin alot of things.

Zoa Girl
09/25/2007, 05:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10841904#post10841904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Runfrumu
I worked at UPS for about 3 days, and let me tell you, it could be wrapped in 85 layers of bubble wrap and they can break it. Union, being rushed, low pay starting out = your packages get tossed around like clothes in a dryer.

My shipping experiences with them are as follows, in about 10 items shipped with them them have: left a package in my bushes where I didnt find it for 2 days, delivered a PS# with 10 games 10 houses down from me, luckily they were nice people and brought it to us, and we've had 2 dvd players stolen off the dock before delivery at seperate times.

Not saying they're all bad people working there, but a few can ruin alot of things.

I work for UPS and while these stories do not surprise me, they are not limited to UPS. I worked for FedEx Ground and the same things went on there.

Back on topic, how did you pay for the item? File a dispute if you used Paypal.

lshark21
09/25/2007, 05:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10842095#post10842095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Zoa Girl
I work for UPS and while these stories do not surprise me, they are not limited to UPS. I worked for FedEx Ground and the same things went on there.

Back on topic, how did you pay for the item? File a dispute if you used Paypal.

That was me. I forgot to logout my girlfriend before posting that.:mad2:

Roy G. Biv
09/25/2007, 05:31 PM
A few times I submitted a claim to UPS for broken items. They ask you to keep the origional packaging, and the item for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks if they have not contacted you, you can throw it away and you get the claim. Its like getting audited, they may pick you, they may not. If they do inspect you, the worst they will say is NO. Its worth a try.

danskim
09/25/2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah I paid with Paypal, so I can still do a claim through them. However, I will have to pick UPS or Paypal because whichever one I choose will require me to send the item to them I think. At least last time I made a claim through paypal that is what happened.