PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake or Picasso Clowns where........

TandN
09/25/2007, 03:46 PM
Anyone know where I could get a pair of either ones ?

stringcheese
09/25/2007, 03:54 PM
Tropiocorium,
Romulus michigan.
they propigate them and have many breeding pairs currently on their shelves. They were the first in the world to breed marine fish. I 've read that about them in 2 books! Also they are about 1 or 2 miles from DTW so they ship faaaast. Unless your local like me.

TandN
09/25/2007, 04:32 PM
do they have a website ?

TandN
09/25/2007, 04:58 PM
i found the site but found nothing about picasso or snowflake clowns on the site. Are you sure they have them ?????

Purple Haze
09/25/2007, 11:04 PM
You may be able to get a pair from your LFS if they have an account with ORA.

LargeAngels
09/26/2007, 06:21 AM
Tropicorium doesn't have snowflakes or picasso's. They also weren't the first in the world to breed marine fish. Although they do have quite a few breeding pairs.

Almost all picasso's now come from breeding pairs at ORA. If you want picasso's ask your LFS that orders from ORA to put you on the list. It may be a few months thought.

Snowflakes come out of England. Also ask your LFS to ask their wholesaler.

You can also do a search here as there was a thread about what shops may have had them in stock.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36

mattyice
09/26/2007, 07:08 AM
or just order a pair of Rod's onyx clowns with more white in them, without a doubt the best genetics of any captive bred clownfish in the world, their orange is a vibrant bright orange (not the dull orange that most captive bred clowns have), they are true onyx and look amazing once the black grows in, and some have different white shapes in them like picasso's without the crappy ORA inbred genetics (most ORA picasso's have genetic defects from so much inbreeding its not even worth the $150+ price tag for them, and a perfect pair of picassos's with no defects command an even higher price around $250+) and by defects i mean bent gills, bulldog looking faces that look smashed and such

jdreefer
09/26/2007, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10845645#post10845645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mattyice
or just order a pair of Rod's onyx clowns with more white in them, without a doubt the best genetics of any captive bred clownfish in the world, their orange is a vibrant bright orange (not the dull orange that most captive bred clowns have), they are true onyx and look amazing once the black grows in, and some have different white shapes in them like picasso's without the crappy ORA inbred genetics (most ORA picasso's have genetic defects from so much inbreeding its not even worth the $150+ price tag for them, and a perfect pair of picassos's with no defects command an even higher price around $250+) and by defects i mean bent gills, bulldog looking faces that look smashed and such

:confused:

Inbred genetics? Weren't both the originals WC? I thought I had read in a previous thread not too long ago that they were now breeding some F1's but that isn't very far into the "crappy ORA inbred genetics". Given how short of time they have been around and how long it takes for Perculas to reach breeding maturity, I wouldn't think they can be very far into inbreeding. Most of the Picassos I have seen look pretty good, I think.

LargeAngels
09/26/2007, 12:57 PM
You are right. I have also heard that they may be breeding the F1's but nothing further so far so there shouldn't be a long line of inbreeding for these.

Here is the pair ORA started with (only the male is "picasso")

http://www.am4fish.com/feature_photos.jpg

TandN
09/26/2007, 04:34 PM
MY LFS does not get ORA and non around here do. Im hoping to find some on one of these online vendors

LargeAngels
09/27/2007, 05:56 AM
Try here for ORA Picasso's

http://blueribbonkoi.com