PDA

View Full Version : Reef display grand opening!

drbronx
09/25/2007, 05:43 PM
I just received an e-mail from the zoo director indicating that the otter tank has been buttoned up for the time being until they have a chance to finalize a solution over the winter. They want an official grand opening of the reef display with media, presentation and q&a sessions, behind the scenes "tours" with the public. He mentioned the weekend of Oct. 6 & 7 however I will try to get that moved since I have to be in NYC for my mothers memorial unveiling on Sunday 10/7 to mark the first year since her passing (its a jewish tradition thing). At the worst I can postpone my departure until early Sunday in which case others would have to cover for Sunday. They also need some rudimentary graphics available so we need to pull something together pronto. I'll be in touch with Nate and Paul re: this issue. Nate is the digital graphics guru as evidenced by his beautiful So. Tier Reef Assoc. flier. We may need a few photos from Vince's Canon Digital Rebel to illustrate some fish and corals that could be integrated with some brief text descriptions. I can pull together some basic facts about the current and future status of reefs etc.
The director also announced that an anonymous donor has stepped forward with a cash contribution to sponsor the tank! he also indicated that he has received a llot of very favorable feedback abvout the display.

Piazzon12
09/25/2007, 06:49 PM
Excellent news! Let me know if there is anything I can do.

St.james of reefdom
09/25/2007, 07:58 PM
Fantastic...Congrats for all your hard work ..

LUCKYLATO
09/26/2007, 12:01 AM
yes great job guys

fish1219
09/26/2007, 04:36 AM
Lets meet some evening this week so we can divide and conquer.
Also did the zoo provide us a template for the graphics.

Piazzon12
09/26/2007, 05:26 AM
Jerry, I will also be out of town that weekend. Hopefully we can get it moved.

drbronx
09/26/2007, 04:33 PM
I spoke to Mike janis today. The opening will be held on Saturday, Oct. 6 from 12 noon to approx. 4 pm. He will be issuing press releases and ads. It will consist of presentations, q @ A, behind the scene tours as stated in original post. All we need to get together is a couple pages of text describing the nature of the tropical reef biotope, their location, and a list of some threats to their health/survival. A few photos of natural reefs would also be useful. The zoo can laminate and mount the above materials. I have found a couple of good photos from a Great Barrier Reef calendar I have which I will photocopy at Kinkos. I will try to locate a world map showing a distribution of reefs around the world. I will soon post a draft of some text for review feedback. I can meet tomorrow Thursday at 5:15 if any folks are interested or some time this weekend. Sunday morning would be best for me. Its also time for a water change. I will head over Friday to make up some new water.

Another thought, a photo of each calss of coral (sps, lps, soft) would also be good with a brief description.

drbronx
09/26/2007, 04:39 PM
I forgot to mention, the zoo received a anonymous contribution for 5K to be applied in large part to the zoo tank. Thus the zoo expressed a renewed interest in the seahorse tank for the spring opening. I gave an estimate of 2k to include set-up (including inhabitants ans a small chiller). From all I've read, aquacultured seahorses need to be maintained at about 72 degrees. So if anyone has ideas of how to get a cheap chiller, please respond. We may also need to make a small amount of more live rock.

drbronx
09/26/2007, 06:03 PM
Some proposed text for the display:

Value of Coral Reefs

- One of the greatest sources of biodiversity on the planet.

- protects shorelines from the impact of storms and waves

-provide benefits to humans in the form of current and future medicines and food.

-Provide economic benefit to local communities in the form of tourism

Status of the World’s Reefs

-20% of the worlds reefs are heavily damaged or destroyed and show no imminent signs of recovery.

-24% of reefs are in imminent danger of collapse and a further 26% are in danger of future destruction.

Global Change Threats to Coral Reefs

-Coral bleaching due to rising water temperatures as a result of global warming.

-diseases, plagues and invasive due directly or indirectly to human disturbances in the environment.

-over fishing and destructive fishing practices due to dynamite and cyanide fishing.

-sediments from poor land management and deforestation.

- nutrients and chemical pollution.

- overdevelopment of coastal areas.

fish1219
09/26/2007, 06:08 PM
For the seahorse tank what about doing an all in one: For example:
24 Gal Aquapod
34 Gal Red Sea Max

drbronx
09/26/2007, 06:08 PM
And also this, composed by nate Rogers and myself:

The 180 gallon reef display was designed and constructed by members of the Southern Tier Reef Society The display is designed to provide a representation of the diversity of life that inhabits the tropical coral reefs specific to the Indo-Pacific regions including Hawaii, Australia's Great Barrier Reef, Fiji, Micronesia etc. Wherever possible tank bred or captive raised fish, corals, and invertebrates were used. In fact 100% of the corals in this tank were grown and donated by the local reef keepers of the Southern Tier Reef Society. Even most of the rock was produced by the reef club. Thus, the display exerted almost zero impact on the world’s natural reefs.

Coral Reefs are large underwater structures composed of aragonite which are the accumulation of thousands of years of skeletal remains of stony corals that excrete an exoskeleton of calcium carbonate (similar to limestone). These massive formations support the living corals (cnidarians) and a tremendous variety of other organisms including all the various invertebrates and fish. Coral reefs are found in warm and shallow areas of the ocean and span the globe in the zone from 30 degrees N to 30 degrees S of the equator.

Corals are essentially composed of large numbers of polyps. These polyps are generally incapable of producing their own food but rely on their embedded Zooxanthellae which are single celled algae that produce nutrients for the polyps via photosynthesis. The coral polyps have a symbiotic relationship with their embedded algae and cannot survive without them.

The zoo display contains examples of three of the major forms of corals: the hard stony corals also known as small polyp stony corals (SPS) that build the reefs through their calcium carbonate skeletal remains, large polyp stony corals (LPS) that have much larger fleshy polyps, and soft corals including "leather" corals, xenias, mushroom polyps, and button polyps (zoanthids). The display also contains a variety of invertebrates including shrimp, starfish, hermit crabs, snails, worms, and many other "cryptic' organisms, many of which are barely visible to the naked eye. And then of course there are the fish.

Our display features three species of tangs including the Blue or Regal Tang made famous by the character "Dory" from Finding Nemo. Tangs are extremely beautiful and active fish. They are all characterized by a sharp barb directly anterior to their tail fin which they use for defensive purposes. The display also contains two species of clownfish including the famous "Nemo" which was based on the Ocellaris clownfish. The tank also exhibits chromis, blennies, gobies, and wrasses.

The reef is still in its early phase of development. Visitors may find it interesting to watch the corals grow and colonize the rockwork over time just as would a natural reef.

Piazzon12
09/27/2007, 05:24 AM
I would be able to meet tonight or this weekend... just post to let me know.

Also, does the zoo have any green striped shrooms yet? I'll bring one of those frags in along with the long polyp sarco.

drbronx
09/27/2007, 05:38 AM
Sounds great Adam. I will be at the zoo Sunday at about 9:30 AM

Gary Majchrzak
09/29/2007, 11:03 AM
:thumbsup:

I'm need to take the family to the Ross Park Zoo :)

drbronx
09/29/2007, 11:37 AM
Thanx Gary! I'm really not sure its quite worth the three hour drive from your place but if you are ever down this way be sure to give a shout.

drbronx
09/29/2007, 02:31 PM
Who can make the Grand Opening next Saturday, Nov. 7. Any times between noon and four to help with talk, tours, answer questions etc.?

Gary Majchrzak
09/29/2007, 02:41 PM
Jer- double check that date.

drbronx
09/29/2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks Gary. Make that October 6th. Damn time warps!:)

nwrogers
09/29/2007, 05:58 PM
I can be there

Piazzon12
09/30/2007, 06:59 AM
Unfortunately I'll be in Pittsburgh

fish1219
10/02/2007, 04:22 AM
Had a comment on the "Zoo web site" post regarding having a name the fish contest during the Grand Opening. What do you guys think?

fatrip
10/02/2007, 06:10 AM
i think it is a great idea paul, getting the public, especially the kids to bond with the critters in the tank.

drbronx
10/02/2007, 10:37 AM
Great idea Paul ! We should do that. We should have a container and pieces of paper and pens so that people can submit names.

Who is planning on attending the opening on Saturday. Nate already stated his intention to attend. We should probably meet a bit befor at say 11:30 to make sure everything looks shi shape etc.

fatrip
10/02/2007, 10:52 AM
I will be there...to bad we didnt have some STRS shirts made up...Nate bring some of your flyers for STRS and ill bring what i have left over. For the names of the fish, I can print up little pieces of paper with the name of the fish, the name they want for the fish and there name. let me know if you want any more things on the paper. i can bring pens and a can of some sort to put them in.

Dave VG
10/02/2007, 12:08 PM
I will be there but we all know what a newbe i am. I could talk about the plumbing and wood work lol. Really I Would just like to be apart of it and see the reaction of the people to all of our hard work.

fish1219
10/02/2007, 01:55 PM
I'll be there. I have created a couple of sheets in a ppt file (powerpoint).
First sheet - can be cut into 4 sections for name submission (b&w)
2nd sheet - overview of the tank (color) to be posted around the zoo.
Jerry, can you send me your e-mail so i can send the power point to you.

drbronx
10/02/2007, 09:30 PM
Got it Paul. Looks terrific. Maybe I can ask the zoo to cough up a tolken prize for the winning name for the naso. Possibly a t-shirt or something.

fatrip
10/03/2007, 11:37 AM
jerry, you said to come at 11:30, when is it going to start??

drbronx
10/03/2007, 03:57 PM
noon

drbronx
10/05/2007, 12:43 PM
The newspaper add came out today (last pg of Life section indicating 10 - 4 PM. I have a call in to Mike. I don't thing any of us are into hanging mout for 6 hours. I will get there around 11am. Whenever folks can come is fine I'm sure. Mike Janis indicated he liked the idea of "Name That Fish" and can offer a free '07-'08 zoo membership or a stuffed seahorse from the gift shop.

drbronx
10/05/2007, 01:23 PM
I just spoke with Mike...the add is wrong. Noon - 4pm is the plan. I'll be there at 11:30ish. The graphics are mounted. I'll see everybody tomorrow. Brush your teeth and comb your hair. The media should be there:)

SFBiol
10/05/2007, 01:33 PM
Just wanted to say that I got a chance to see the new reef tank and it looks terrific. You all did a great job!

drbronx
10/05/2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks Sue!

Dave VG
10/05/2007, 05:19 PM
I will be there at 11:30 also

drbronx
10/06/2007, 05:34 PM
The opening went very well though without much fanfare. Quite a number of people stopped by to see the tank including one new reefer "Dave" from Arizona who hopefully will be popping in on this forum. People, especially kids really seemed to enjoy the tank and a few folks stopped by two to three times to check out the display. The zoo did a great job displaying the graphics. Unfortunately, no media people came by today. The director informed us that he contacted them but its often "hit or miss" depending what else is happening around town. Thanks to Paul, Dave, Nate and Vince for hanging out for the day. Vince took some nice shots that hopefully he'll post. We also got some cute names submitted for the naso tang such as Lilo, Spike, and others.