PDA

View Full Version : Medium CPR Refugium Question

audio101
09/25/2007, 07:52 PM
I have a cpr medium refugium arriving in a few days and was wondering how much live sand/rock I should put in it? It's 2 gallons with these dimensions 19-1/4"L x 4-1/2"W x 12"H. Do people usually stock these full or is a 1-2 pounds of rock and sand with a hand full of cheato enough?

bertoni
09/25/2007, 07:54 PM
I'd consider adding a thin layer of live rock rubble (maybe 1/2" deep or so) and leave the rest of the space for Chaetomorpha. The live rock rubble will provide habitat for some useful animals, and the Chaetomorpha is a great filter (and also a habitat for animals).

nlmotoring
09/25/2007, 08:12 PM
I had two large chunks of rocks in mine and a 1/2 inch sand bed with macro. Everything worked good for me.

918ReefCpl
09/25/2007, 08:13 PM
I'll second that opinion....I had some leftover Aragonite mixture (small size) that I got from a fellow RC member as part of a purchase of his leftover reefkeeping material..Since I dont have a Calcium reactor, i used it to cover the bottom of my CPR Aquafuge (Med) and put in several small (3"-4") pieces of LR that I got from my LFS onto of that base and also the Chaeto. Bought what is sold locally as reefstew (phytoplankton/brine shrimp/rotifers/amphipods/copepods) and inoculated the sand bed prior to starting the circulation pump (left the pump off for an hr) and so far so good...alot of microfauna for the tank inhabitants to munch on...