PDA

View Full Version : iwaki 40 pump

jimbo78
09/26/2007, 06:07 AM
anyone have one or now if they are any good?

pjf
09/26/2007, 07:17 AM
I believe that the Iwaki MD-40RLXT that you are considering is rated at 1200-gph. It is stronger than my 960-gph MD-30RLXT and I would make sure that your aquarium has two overflows before you purchase it.

The flow from my Iwaki MD-30RLXT is too strong for my 75-gallon Oceanic aquarium. My one “Megaflow” overflow is rated for only 600-gph. After enlarging my standpipe connector for faster drainage, the water is still high enough to touch the glass center brace. The water level often reaches the top of the overflow grates.

I am told that the Panworld and Blue Line pumps are equivalent to the Iwaki pumps and are less noisy.

Nevertheless, the Iwaki is far superior to many of the return pumps that are used in the hobby. It has run unfailingly for two years on my system. You can plug it in and forget about it. It is my most reliable component.

You can see it on the lower right:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/93304Refugium_975_gph-med.JPG

jimbo78
09/26/2007, 07:23 AM
a friend of mine has the 40rlxt thats about 18 months old that he'll give me for $80 and i'm wondering if its a good deal. i haven't picked out a overflow yet but i'm probably going to go with something in the 1200gph range.
how do you feel about the quality of the pump?
will it be big enough for a 120g

pjf
09/26/2007, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10845709#post10845709 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimbo78
a friend of mine has the 40rlxt thats about 18 months old that he'll give me for $80 and i'm wondering if its a good deal. i haven't picked out a overflow yet but i'm probably going to go with something in the 1200gph range.
how do you feel about the quality of the pump?
will it be big enough for a 120g
(1) It is definitely a great deal since a Japanese MD-40RLXT sells for $278 (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=IK1145).
(2) The quality of the Iwaki pumps are top notch. My only peeve is the noise. I hear that the Blue Line & Panworld pumps are quieter but that is because the Iwaki designer left to design these pumps.
(3) The Iwaki MD-40RLXT is definitely big enough for a 120 gallon tank. The question is whether or not the 120 gallon tank has enough overflow capacity to handle the Iwaki MD-40RLXT. I hope that you have two overflows that can handle the 1200 gph pump.

wolf pup
09/26/2007, 01:43 PM
seconds to 1,2, and 3 by pjf

I have an Iwaki WMD-40RLT (the pressure version with the american motor) I have been running it non-stop for around 5+ years and have never cleaned or maintained it. It has been perfectly reliable and I love everything except for the noise level. I have always had to throttle it back due to getting the full flow from it until I moved it into the basement which solved both problems.

For $80 - I'd do it - just put a ball valve after the pump to throttle it back some if you need to. Just be aware, the Iwaki's are loud. After I moved mine out of the room the wife began to complain about the "water noise" from the tank which I had to explain was always there but she could never hear it before due to the din from the pump.

Just my .02

jimbo045
09/26/2007, 02:51 PM
I say good. I am running one on my 120G. JD