PDA

View Full Version : Sailfin Tang - Diet

jkmargerum
09/26/2007, 07:50 AM
We have recently added a Salfin to our tank.
He is 6 - 7 inches and very thick.

We have been keeping 3 yellow tangs and a Hippo for the last year and a half. We lost our Hippo to an infection, and the Sailfin has taken her place.

This guy can eat... :eek2:

Even after feeding time, he still acts as if he is straving.
We feed veggie clips (1 sheet of Nori) once a day. The clips last mere minutes. We feed a mixture of brine shrimp 2 cubes, mysis shrimp 1 cube, and ocean plankton 1 cube, formula one,formula two, and prime reef flake, marine zoo, and gralic extreme from kent, 1 cube of baby brine, and coral food for the rest of the tank.

Last night he was so agitated after feeding that we put in another veggie clip, could we be missing some of his nutritional needs, or do the Salfin's just get their owners trained to put more food in the tank?

Thanks in advance for all the repies
Jay and Kim

tanker
09/26/2007, 12:37 PM
Do they eat the nori or tear it to pieces and is all over tank??

jmait769
09/26/2007, 01:25 PM
Jay – Our SailFin is also a vicarious eater. So much so that I have to ensure that I feed him at one end of the tank and sneak food into the other end so everyone gets something to eat! Same for the nori it’s gone in a matter of seconds. My wife got ours as a PetCo rescue when it was no more than 2” with promise to allow me to upgrade when he becomes too large for current tank. I feed once a day with the nori in the morning and the rest at night. Really it eats any and everything but it is a great fish with a neat personality!

HTH

Jay

jkmargerum
09/26/2007, 01:37 PM
Tanker
They eat every single bit o fthe Nori. If a single flake hits the floor, the banded gobi gets it. Heck he will even eat from teh clip, if the Salfin is not watching.

Jmait769
Ours still lets the other fish eat around him, no fighting, but that may just be because the wife sets that spoon full of food right in front of him, and he grabs as much as he can.

Have you hand feed your Sailfin yet? Ours will take the Nori bits that are let in the clip from your hand, very frendly brave fish. Great personailyt I agree, not shy at all.