PDA

View Full Version : 125g Cyclying Complete I think.

tothe kids
09/26/2007, 12:52 PM
Here is the readers digest version of the story and I am definitely looking for suggestions at this point. Got a 125 high with 2 110 VHO 10k daylights bulbs I believe are 6-8 months. Tank has been cycling with about 125lbs of LR. Some of the LR was purchased from established tank being taken down which brought loads of Coralline algae , but also had a few rocks with hair algae. Other (dead rock) was added and some uncured rock purchased from a fellow reefer. This was cycled for about 2 weeks. At the advice of my LFS I purchased 8 Chromis to balance the tank. Algae bloom took off about the second day after adding fish. LFS said to cut back lights to 4 hours a day. This has been done for over a week now algae is not getting worse but still pretty bad. LFS said no water changes for 2 weeks while tank was establishing. I picked up some more Chaeto from another reefer and he gave me a Kenya tree for free.

Water Parameters show 0 Nitrate, 0 Ammonia, and 0 Nitrites for over a week now PH is steady at 8.4.

Equipment is unknown skimmer probably 200g rated thought judging from size, 30 g sump with fuge, 3 powerheads on EX 350 GPH, One Maxijet 1200, and one Maxijet 900. Sump pump is knock off brand rated for 500gph. Both VHO bulbs have been ordered one 10K daylight and one super actinic blue.

Questions:
1. Is there enough turn over in the tank? Seems like there are a few dead spots to me.
2. What should I do about the algae? The rock is getting very brown and the hair algae looks like it may be spreading. (go against LFS and do water change) add a clean up crew?
3. When can more livestock be added and should it be corals or fish? Ultimate tank inhabitants would be most of the reef safe cast from Finding Nemo. I know I need to wait on the Tang.
4. Any other concerns or suggestions?

aquarius77
09/26/2007, 01:03 PM
The alge is normal and will go away. If you plan on corals wich it seems you do, you need more lighting.

How did you get your trates to 0 after a cycle with no water change?

How long has the tank been set up and cycleing?

Whos testing your water and what kind of tests are being used?

BurntOutReefer
09/26/2007, 01:05 PM
I dont think the reading are right OR...the tank hasnt started cycle yet.....

tothe kids
09/26/2007, 01:19 PM
The test kit is a API Slatwater test kit. I test it the same as my tropical tanks. The Ammonia reached 2 ppm at it's highest and the Nitrates were off the chart. Nitrites never really got above 1ppm. I have a second test kit not sure how old but I could do another test real quick with it.

I have a 400 wat MH retrokit I was going to add and see how it looked may not be enough spread with just one, but yes I know I need to upgrade the lights. I've kind of put this on the back burner until I feel comfortable with the water parameters and algae has cleared.

tothe kids
09/26/2007, 01:21 PM
sorry tank has been up 4 weeks now. Salt is 1.022 w Corallife Hydrometer FYI. ( i know not the most accurate)

BurntOutReefer
09/26/2007, 01:43 PM
1. Is there enough turn over in the tank? Seems like there are a few dead spots to me.-Are you asking about Turn-over or water movement?

2. What should I do about the algae? The rock is getting very brown and the hair algae looks like it may be spreading. (go against LFS and do water change) add a clean up crew?-The algae will stop after a couple of months....IMO leave it alone. To early to add clean-up crew.
3. When can more livestock be added and should it be corals or fish? Ultimate tank inhabitants would be most of the reef safe cast from Finding Nemo. I know I need to wait on the Tang.-Too early to add anything. Wait two months.

4. Any other concerns or suggestions?-Yes. Slow down.