PDA

View Full Version : help!!!

payday1
09/27/2007, 11:52 AM
I am very new to the hobby 2-3 weeks by now I have bought live rock with lots of purple algea, nobody told me to get suplements to feed it so its all turned white I guess it died.

:::My questions are how to i grow the purple love back,
:::How do i get rid of the slime on the top of the tank i pointed a powerhead up to the surface it seems to have gone but im sure its still there.
:::What else do I need for a sucessful tank I know im vague but my tank is so new that everything helps at this point
montez

an411
09/27/2007, 11:58 AM
You are talking about coraline and it seems like it died it will start to come back eventually. If anything make sure that your kalk parameter is where its suppose to be I know that helps coraline growth.

hmello@bermexin
09/27/2007, 11:59 AM
If your tank is cycling the coralline has bleached but not to worry it will return.
If you have pointed a power head up there and your are skimming the surface somehow you have accomplished your task.
Can't tell you what you need without knowing what you have. It will help to give us as many details about your tank, rocks, sand, water, equipment so that others can join in to give you some direction.

Welcome to the addiction.

MegsB
09/27/2007, 12:16 PM
deffinaly need some more details, what skimmer, powerheads, lights for equipt, what temp, salinity, water params etc etc.

have you researched about sw tanks? and know about cycling etc?

arts007
09/27/2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah the coralline algae bleached/died, it may come back may be a different form or color..what lighting do you have? keep your calcium levels and alkalinity levels up.

Thats about the best way to keep surface scum from accumulating on the surface with the power head to keep it agitated.. what kind of filtering do you use? Live rock, protein skimmer?

This is a good place to start for reading http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

and

http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif

kuoka
09/27/2007, 02:06 PM
Welcome! Agitate the waters surface to rid the "slime" on top of the water. As for coraline, it requires calcium, alkaline, good lighting, and lots of patience. Note if you don't have a lot of hard corals, then you may not need to add calcium. Test for it and alkaline regularly.

ActinopteryGuy
09/27/2007, 02:20 PM
Don't forget coraline algae needs good light of proper wattage and spectrum to grow and or stay alive in conjunction with Ca pH and Alk.

payday1
09/27/2007, 04:23 PM
i have a 55 gallon tank
fluval 305
seaclone 100 skimmer
2 fluval2 for powerheads
corallide (new supplement) 50lbs of live rock with another 50 coming this weekend
2X29 in aqua glow blues light

how long should and when should i run the lights a guy at the pet store suggest i use power glow

kuoka
09/27/2007, 04:30 PM
I run my lights for 7 to 8 hours a day. It doesn't matter what time they come on. Most people set them to come on in the afternoon and go off at night so the tank can be enjoyed when they get home from work.