PDA

View Full Version : Another painting question...

g8rorchid
09/27/2007, 12:39 PM
I plan on repainting the stand and canopy. I believe its pressed wood, made by oceanic. It is supposed to look like granite/stone, but I think I would prefer all black or a nice cherry color finish. Is there any prep work that needs to be done or do I just paint right on top of the existing color? Could I use a stain, or would it not really cover?

As always, thank you!!

taillonjohn
09/27/2007, 01:44 PM
maybe try the DIY forumn, lotsa carpenter types there

an411
09/27/2007, 02:28 PM
If its a smooth surface laminite which it sounds like to me I wouldn't paint over it for fear that it will chip over time.

RBCJay
09/27/2007, 02:51 PM
I would not try to stain it. I doubt it will take stain and if it is a composite material even if it takes the stain it will probably look odd.
You should be able to paint it. Wipe everything down really good-you may even want to use something like denatured alchohol. It sounds like it would be a slick like surface so it will be hard to paint as is. After cleaning it put a coat of primer on it first. It doesnt' have to be pretty, just a nice even coat. After it dries lightly sand it and then wipe it down to remove any dust. You should then be ready to paint it any way you want to. You may want to use a sponge brush to lessen brush marks. After 2 coats(or more if you want to) are on it and dried then put a couple of coats of polyurethane on it-light sanding between coats. That should work well for you.
Hope I made sense with my rambling.
Good Luck,
Jay

g8rorchid
09/28/2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone. Some questions for Jay, or for anyone who can answer.....what is denatured alcohol? Where can I find it?Wouldnt sanding it after the primer was on, take some of it off? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do it right.

RBCJay
09/28/2007, 08:56 PM
Denatured alcohol is a solvent that evaporates really fast. It should be easy to find Wal=Mart, Lowes, Home depot...etc. On the primer, yes it will take a little bit of the surface but don't sand it hard and use a higher grit sand paper(200-300 should work fine) The thing with the primer is that it will make the surface smooth(not slick) and give the paint something to adhere to.
If you have any more questions just let me know. I am subscribed to this thread and will be checking back in.
Jay

jefnalyssa
09/28/2007, 10:25 PM
You should sand the stand first with 120 grit paper. Then paint it with a top quality primer. Go to a paint store and tell them what your painting. They will give you the right primer. I wouldnt go to Lowes or Home depot most of them cant even mix paint yet alone give you the right product for the job. They can even tint your primer for you so the top coat covers better. Then sand it lightly with 220 grit sand paper. Next put a topcoat of paint on. I would use at least semi gloss paint . The more sheen it has the more doorable it is. Then sand it again very lightly with 220 grit sand paper. Then lastly put the second coat of topcoat on.