PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my 125g build

mlbarry
09/27/2007, 02:02 PM
I am new to RC and have been reading and reading and reading!! My husband and I had a 75g a few years ago and skimped on some things and ended up with a huge disaster! So, I don't want that to happen again.

I have already ordered my 125g (60x18x25) reef ready tank. I will also have a 33 gallon sump with refugium.

I plan on ordering 'the package' from tampabaysaltwater.com. I was going to order the package for the 150 gallon so I have rock and sand for the main tank and the sump. The package comes with 300lb live rock, 150 lbs live sand, 150 blue leg hermits (isn't that a lot??), 75 astrea snails, 6 tiger tail cucumbers, 3 serpent or brittle stars and 3 pepermint shrimp.

I am going to use RO/DI water.

Skimmer: octopus NW 200 OR octopus recirc 200 (which should I use) OR is there a better choice

Lighting: Hamilton Technology - 2-250w MH and 2-96w compact flourescent

Heaters: 2-200w Jager

Aqua controller JR
Sybon refractometer

What I need help with:
powerheads for inside tank for water movement?
pumps to move water from tank through fuge and back to tank?

Please critique and give me suggestions and comments.

THANKS!

GlobaLPimP
09/27/2007, 02:10 PM
:)WELCOME:)

IMO - The clean-up crew package is too big for a new uncycled tank. I'd let the tank cycle and then slowly add your clean-up crew. I'd add more but I have to get back to work;)

P.S. I love my Tunze power heads:)

riley290
09/27/2007, 02:29 PM
I haven't shopped at TBS but I'm pretty sure "the package" comes in two different shipments, the sand and most rock, and then later when you're ready the rest of the shipment and livestock.

msn711
09/27/2007, 02:29 PM
IMO, 300lbs of live rock is way too much. I would honestly start with 125lb, and order more if you need it. I also think TBS is overkill and overpriced, but that's just me.

150 hermits is a lot. I hate astrea snails. They fall over, can't right themselves, and if you don't pick them up and turn them over, they die. Trochus snails don't have that problem and are just as efficient if not more so at cleaning your tank. Trochus snails are sometimes mislabeled turbo snails, but they're aren't as gigantic as the true mexican turbo snails.

On the lighting, I would probably look for t5 supplements instead of power compacts just because PCs aren't that powerful, and seem to be a technology that's on its way out.

For pumps/powerheads, its really about how much you want to spend. I have the new vortech on my 120 and I love it. Pushes 3000 gph all over the tank but doesn't create sand storms. It also depends on what you want to keep. If you're into sps, I would recommend 2 of the vortechs. If not, one will be enough for any other corals.

For cheaper, I like the seio pumps I used to use. The hydor koralias are popular. And of course, tunze is always popular.

sparkiesford
09/27/2007, 02:30 PM
I am really new to this, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
the prices for that stuff seems a little high. I have been researching live rock, and you can find it a lot cheaper then that.
Just my .02

ActinopteryGuy
09/27/2007, 02:32 PM
maybe a bigger sump if it can fit ok
a bigger skimmer at 158 gal you want a 300 gal rated skimmer
see if you can get a light with T5 HO actinics vs compacts. Much better color and double bulb life

msn711
09/27/2007, 02:57 PM
a bigger skimmer at 158 gal you want a 300 gal rated skimmer

Where did you get this from? I wouldn't automatically double skimmer size unless I knew the tank was going to have either a heavy bioload in terms of fish, or the person was leaning towards sps.

mlbarry
09/27/2007, 08:09 PM
Yes the shipment from TBS does come in 2 shipments. The first shipment includes all the sand and 1/2 of the rock. After the tank has cycled I have to call them and they ship the remainder on the rock and the critters.

Where do you recommend I purchase live rock from instead of TBS? I have read great things about them, but if there is a better place I would love to know!

sparkiesford
09/27/2007, 09:03 PM
Live aquaria.com is where I would buy the rock from. A lot more choices and its cheaper
That is probably where I am going to buy my rock from.

wintercool97
09/27/2007, 09:42 PM
I agree on a bigger sump. I have an 30 gallon standard and am wishing it was bigger already. I will probably upgrade that in a year or so.

I also think getting a bigger skimmer isn't a bad idea. That way your are prepared for what ever you want in the future.

Just wanted to chime in with my .02 on TBS.

I think that the 125 tank package would be more than plenty! Its almost to much for a 125.

I'm not sure if that will be to many CUC or not. I don't think so. Those that don't have TBS are assuming that it is like their dead live rock, TBS has so much on it right at first it could probably keep a crew alive in the first month no problem.

I know that they cost more than the "live" rock from other places. But its worth it to me, maybe not to others.They take it out of the ocean and ship it to you IN THE WATER the same day! I have just got my first shipment in 4 days ago, all I can say is WOW :eek1:I had gotten live rock from Doctor Mac 3 years ago. It was sent in wet newspaper and was dead as a hammer! It took over 2 years for it to be as alive as my base rock from TBS is in 4 days! But I will say that I enjoyed the design or shape or whatever you call it of the Dr.Mac a lot.

I am loving all the cool stuff on my TBS, crabs, snails, mantis. coral, sponges, macro algae, even a little goby! I think it just depends on what you want alive for your live rock. TBS has WAY more life but that also means more bad guys too. I am prepared to wait longer to add any fish or corals to make sure its safe. If you go with the rock that only bacteria is alive on than you will know the only thing on it is what you put in. To each his own. After experiencing both sides of the coin I would say I would never do anything than TBS again.

Check out the TBS forum here and see what others experiences have been with it, mine is there too :D

wintercool97
09/27/2007, 09:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10855564#post10855564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mlbarry

What I need help with:
powerheads for inside tank for water movement?
pumps to move water from tank through fuge and back to tank?

Please critique and give me suggestions and comments.

THANKS!

I like the ehiem 1260 and 1262. I have the 1262 and it is nice an quiet.

I drilled one 2" hole for a dart and have it return through a Oceans Motion then over the top. I don't have any long term use with it yet but its working fine and seems others like it a lot. I won't be able to know for sure what I think until I have corals:p

mlbarry
09/27/2007, 09:57 PM
Thank you wintercool97 for your TBS experience. I do like the idea of the rock being so 'alive.' You think the 125 gallon package would be enough sand and rock or the DT and the fuge?

If a bigger skimmer would be a good idea, what would everyone recommend?

I am not interested in keeping sps right now, but maybe in the future.

wintercool97
09/27/2007, 10:09 PM
Live rock would be plenty, but not sure on the sand, If it was me I would just get what ever extra I would need locally and use the TBS sand as the "seed". The sand is SO full of stuff too. You wouldn't need very much extra, not sure where is the best to get sand... I think I have heard others using some from HD or Lowes. I would do a search on that.

Check out the DAS EX-2 Skimmer that was what I was going to get untill I got a Deltec Turbo 1250 used here for a sweet deal.

mlbarry
09/27/2007, 11:14 PM
What about this light?

2-250w MH and (t5) 2x54w Actinic 460nm, 2x54w Actinic 420nm
9 blue leds/9 white leds OR should I go with 2-150w MH with the t5 and led?

wintercool97
09/28/2007, 11:03 AM
If you want SPS in future plan now instead of regretting latter. Its easier to add another power head for more movement, than coming up with another 800 bucks or more for a new light system. Go with the 2-250w and the T5 and I like the blue leds. Your tank is 25 inches tall? If so you will definitely need the 250w (maybe even more?) to reach the bottom. That way you will have many more options in the future, when you visit the LFS and see the most beautiful SPS frag and want it, you can have it! :D

mlbarry
09/28/2007, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10861967#post10861967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wintercool97
If you want SPS in future plan now instead of regretting latter. Its easier to add another power head for more movement, than coming up with another 800 bucks or more for a new light system. Go with the 2-250w and the T5 and I like the blue leds. Your tank is 25 inches tall? If so you will definitely need the 250w (maybe even more?) to reach the bottom. That way you will have many more options in the future, when you visit the LFS and see the most beautiful SPS frag and want it, you can have it! :D

You are right. A new powerhead is no big deal, but that would be an awfully expensive SPS if I also had to buy a new light :)

msn711
09/28/2007, 02:20 PM
If you do decide to go cheaper on the rock, I'd recommend exoticfish.com. Fiji live rock is dirt cheap, and then just throw in a mix of something else like tonga deep water or marshall island for better shapes.