PDA

View Full Version : New salt water not clearing up

rogergolf66
09/27/2007, 03:36 PM
I have mixed about 30 gallons of new saltwater for a water change in a brute trash can. I am using RODI water. I tested the water it is DST at 0. Well I put the salt in slowly about 12 hours ago. I have a pump at the bottom of the trash can moving the water around to mix the salt in. Well I have done many water changes before but this water is not clearing up. it is so cloudy I can't see the pump at the bottom. any idea why?

any sugjestions on what to do?

Roger

o by the way the salt is also new only about 2 weeks old. I have used this bag in my last water change with no problems. instant ocean.

JetCat USA
09/27/2007, 03:51 PM
usually that occurs when the opened salt is allowed to absorb moisture and it causes clumping of the salt which congregates the mix rather then keeping it in a consistent distribution. if clumping is noted in the salt it's best to brake up the clumps and mix it throughly before scooping it out to make your water.

if you test the Alk of the water it's very likely high.

Percula9
09/27/2007, 04:18 PM
Did you add any buffer to the water while it was mixing? I suggest dummping the cloudy water out and making a new batch with a different salt. Don't put that cloudy water into your tank.

WaterKeeper
09/27/2007, 04:22 PM
Perfectly normal. The salt mix manufactures try to pack in all the calcium they can. Sometimes they over do it and that is what you are seeing right now. It is only a very small amount that is lost so go ahead and use that water. Unless, as stated above, you made the mistake of adding additives to new salt mix. A very bad idea.

rogergolf66
09/27/2007, 04:27 PM
why can't I add additives. I always get the Alk and Cal to match my tank water before doing a water change.

Roger

WaterKeeper
09/27/2007, 04:32 PM
Your SW mix should have a balanced formula. If you need to add something to a freshly made batch it is time to change brands.

Percula9
09/27/2007, 04:33 PM
If you added buffer and calcium to the make up water that is what clouded it. Add the buffer to the fresh water first and let it mix for 5 min. Then add the salt to mix until clear, then add the calcium to mix until clear.

JetCat USA
09/27/2007, 05:27 PM
dumping CaCl in the freshly mixed water will Not cloud the water, i always buffer my Ca after i mix it.

rogergolf66
09/27/2007, 05:41 PM
Ok well I added

alk
cal
Mag

small amount of each. can I use the water or do I have to toss it. I have a good amount or water here I would hate to just toss it. can I deloot it with more water? I have room for about 15 gallons or so of room left in the barral so I can add that much water.

If when I put it into the tank I run it throught the filter sock will that help at all?

Roger

coast2coast7390
09/27/2007, 06:44 PM
it usually settles out after a while

Mavrk
09/27/2007, 07:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10856669#post10856669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
Your SW mix should have a balanced formula. If you need to add something to a freshly made batch it is time to change brands.

If you need to raise alkalinity or calcium (etc), where do you add it? Directly to the tank?

BTW, I am switching to RC, so I hope not to have to deal with this.

rogergolf66
09/27/2007, 08:42 PM
RC reef central or Reef cristals?

I normally add it to my tank every day.

I added to the fresh salt water that was made into the bucket.

jpitts101
09/27/2007, 08:48 PM
I had a similiar experience, I made my water in a rubbermaid, added buffer and salt and it clouded for about a day and a half. now its perfectly clear. I havent tested the water should I now that everything cleared up? I know my SG is the same as my tank. I was skeptical about useing the water, im glad i've stubled across this thread.

rogergolf66
09/27/2007, 09:14 PM
Well I am going to leave the pump on tonight. I have added about 15 gallons of fresh water to what I already had to help it so it is not saturated. tomorrow I will match salinity again. Hope it clears up by the morning.