PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer OVERFLOW?

Logzor
09/27/2007, 04:39 PM
I need a HOB skimmer that will NOT overflow if my power goes out. Are there any that will not siphon water out in this scenario?

Is my only option to set up a sump?

Thanks,
Logan

USC-fan
09/27/2007, 04:41 PM
Aqua-c remora won't cause any problems. But it for nano tanks.

What size tank do you have?

Logzor
09/27/2007, 04:45 PM
Sorry, I forgot to post my tank size.

I have a 55 gallon tank.

80 lbs live rock. Soft Corals. A goby and blenny.

Thanks!

sfsuphysics
09/27/2007, 04:57 PM
There is no mechanism for a HOB the skimmer to overflow.

Yes it technically could create a siphon, however the fact the output goes right back into the tank it won't overflow. The water level inside the skimmer will be the same as inside the tank, so as long as there are no holes/openings below the tank water line (which there shouldn't be otherwise you'd overflow just by using the skimmer!)

Logzor
09/27/2007, 05:01 PM
Oh. I have heard that coralife SS and typhoon are notorious overflowers when the power gets shut off.

My tank has been running for about 4-5 weeks now and I added fish about a week ago. I am worried that if I do not get a skimmer soon problems will begin. So far my tank is doing FANTASTIC, soft corals and the fish are super happy.

Is a tyhpoon 65 skimmer a good option for my tank? I just can not risk an overflow because I live in an apartment.

I am in college still so I should be covered by my parents homeowners insurance in case it does, right?

Thanks,
Logan

oldreefer76
09/27/2007, 05:49 PM
I have never heard of any hob overflowing during a poweroutage, and if you are that concerned get a Tunze 9005 it mounts in the tank