PDA

View Full Version : My RBTA Split.....Question

Craig Lambert
09/28/2007, 08:46 AM
I picked up a beautiful RBTA off "Diver's Den" LA 18 months ago. He's good sized...about the size of a dinner plate. During the past year and a half he has never moved or split. Yesterday he split for the first time. I increased the flow in my tank about 6 weeks ago, and am thinking that this may have been the reason for the split.

I only want one RBTA in the tank, as I have a number of corals including sps. How long should I wait to remove the nem from the tank? He is currently in a position that would be relatively easy to get him out, but I recall reading that it takes about 10 days for them to heal following a split. Should I wait a while to remove him, or do it now? Thanks....

Racing1
09/28/2007, 09:16 AM
I would give him a couple of weeks to heal up before moving him. Also, if you don't wnat him you can just send him to me JK.

Good Luck and Happy Reefing

jaysreef
09/28/2007, 01:48 PM
give it a littel time and wait for the mouth to totally heal.

Craig Lambert
09/28/2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait a couple of weeks to remove him. I did a 20% water change today, and will do another 20% on Monday. He seems to be doing fine tonight. Just has a jagged edge on one side with a small mass which is a white/blue color at the jagged edge. (which was formerly the mouth).

Have to say that I was stunned when this guy split. After having him in the tank for 18 months, I assumed he was a solitary RBTA and wouldn't split.

dc
09/29/2007, 09:59 AM
Mine took 2 years to split, I was beginning to wonder myself.

Angel7989
09/29/2007, 03:32 PM
mine is splitting right now and ive only had mine for about 2 weeks...

Craig Lambert
10/03/2007, 07:32 PM
Update:...This guy actually split into 3! A third clone came out the backside of the cave (where the other two have their feet attached) this morning. The split happened 6 days ago, can anyone tell me how long it takes for the mouths to appear?

When I fed my fish today a piece of clam drifted into one of the clones and he immediatly grabbed it. I don't think they actually have mouths yet, so I guess this is a good sign. All three look very healthy.