PDA

View Full Version : AquaC Remora's pretty darn loud?

dzeadow
09/28/2007, 08:03 PM
I just got my shipment in from Premium Aquatics... great experience. I am cycling some lace rock and basically "cooking" it with some LR I got from P.A. so I just had them UPS ground ship it. 5 days later it showed up, didn't smell bad at all (just like a tide pool) and was actually still damp in the box!

As for the Remora.. boy, it's louder than expected.. the spray injection sounds like I'm standing in the men's room! I'm guessing there's no way to quiet the thing down since it has to spray water into itself from above it's own surface level.

Anyone have a RO/DI from Two-Part Solutions? looks like they have a pretty decent basic system for what I would need for around $150.. just need to know if it's good enough for this hobby.

Lastly, who's got the best CUC packages? It seems like everyone's got something to offer.

Thanks in advance.. I've gained so much knowledge from this site it's unreal..

USC-fan
09/28/2007, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10865275#post10865275 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dzeadow

As for the Remora.. boy, it's louder than expected.. the spray injection sounds like I'm standing in the men's room! I'm guessing there's no way to quiet the thing down since it has to spray water into itself from above it's own surface level.

Once the Pump and the skimmer break in you will find that it is a little quieter.

But there are a couple of things you can do to make it even quieter. You can quite it down by placing some damp paper towel over the injection nozzle, under the collection cup. This seems to quite it down. Just remember to replace it every few times you clean the collection cup out.

I also put vaseline on the O-ring to make a tighter seal.

moze229
09/28/2007, 08:30 PM
That's a good idea USC-fan. I never thought of that. Some people say that the Remora is loud, some say it's quiet. I think mine is pretty loud, but mine seems to come more from the vibration of the pump. I'll have to try that. The biggest problem I have is microbubbles, and I'm not using a prefilter box :)

Matt

USC-fan
09/28/2007, 08:50 PM
The prefilter box would really help with the pump noise and micro bubbles. It does look huge in a small tank though.

kycstudios
09/28/2007, 09:23 PM
The papertowel worked. I put it on both of the skimmers
Aquac Nano seems louder than the Aquac Urchin Thanks.

+++TheZombie+++

serum153
09/28/2007, 11:03 PM
My remora pro with mag 3 is dead silent, so try this
Take the collection cup out and place it on a butter or sour cream lid (clean it first of course) and draw a line of the outline. That will be the same size as the first chamber above the intake (by the injection screw). Cut it out and place it on a paper towel and fold until it is just the square. Place that right ontop (Do not submerge or block the hole) of the injection screw and your remora pro will be dead silent. Remember to change the paper towel weekly.

918ReefCpl
09/29/2007, 12:57 AM
We have both the Remora and the Pro models on our 2 tanks...we use the pre/post skimmer box on both units...on our 125gal w/mag 3 we toook a bit of aquaclear 200 foam, trimmed with scissors to fit around the injection nozzle inside the unit...you can remove and rinse as needed and doesnt need to be replaced like the papertowel...plus it cuts down on the noise as well...using the vaseline on the O-ring is a great idea, seals the cup to the main body via vaaseline and also keeps the o-ring lubed
goodluck :)

dzeadow
09/29/2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks for all the advice! Sounds like if I'm getting the skimmate out of this thing that most people do that I should be able to remember to change the paper towel or clean out the foam whenever I have to empty the collection cup. Seems easy enough!