PDA

View Full Version : Help with Calcium Reactor Planning.

nattydread
09/29/2007, 09:15 AM
Trying to best plan for what I will need for Cal Reactor set up.

I have a reefkeeper 2 with a ph probe and an Aqua-c ex-180 with a John Guest fitting for reactor effluent.

Can feeding the reactor effluent to the skimmer really help maintain ph levels?

Do I need a ph controller with this set up?

Can the RK2 shut it off if Ph drops too much?

How would you set it up?

Thks.

Mr James
09/29/2007, 09:23 AM
I had a pH controller monitoring the pH in the sump, NOT within the body of the reactor. The controller shut the solenoid off if the pH got too low. but the flow never stopped, obviously. I fed the CR via a gate valve from the return pump. 10# co2 cylinder. I am a huge proponent of dual chambers and only used MRC and GEO products. IME.

nattydread
09/29/2007, 09:54 AM
So if my ph monitor is in the sump, and the rk2 shuts off the reactor pump when the ph drops, am I good?

Mr James
09/29/2007, 10:04 AM
You want the controller to turn the co2 off, not the water feed pump. And you want a pH controller, not monitor, just for clarification.

Zifer
09/29/2007, 10:07 AM
no...you need to have the selonoid on the CO2 tank shut off..not the reactor pump...if you just shut off the reactor pump then you still have the co2 pumping into the chamber so it will just lower the PH even farther in the chamber and will more then likely just push the water through the chamber anyways because of preasure buildup ....so shut off the slenoid when ph drops to a certain level..keep pump running always.