PDA

View Full Version : cool/cheap solution for moonlights and fans

arc eye
09/29/2007, 05:58 PM
Hey Everyone,

I just finished retrofitting a canopy for my 55g and thought I would share my solution for fans and moonlights. Basically I bought and mounted four blue LED computer fans (thermaltake brand...........
$20@Fry's) and daisy-chained them together. Then I bought a volt selectable ac to dc plug/converter (radioshack brand.......also $20ish I think) to power them so I can even select fan speeds if I want. My plan is to leave the fans running 24/7 and they are dead silent. They work pretty well, but the reflectors from my T-5s sort of get in the way.
With proper planning they could be a nice solution for cooling and moonlighting.

would post pics, but can't get them small enough for the RC gallery to handle

skhle
09/29/2007, 08:08 PM
Go to photobucket.com down load your pics. there and paste them on RC.

also if you your fans run 24/7 how your temp. control, my fan on when lites are on, no chiller here.

drinkhomebrew
09/29/2007, 10:17 PM
I can host if you like.

arc eye
10/01/2007, 08:05 PM
Here is a picture. I am running two vhos powered by an Ice Cap 430 Ballast and 2 T5's powered by a triad Ballast. I ran the lights and and pumps for 12hrs and the tanks temp increased by about 3 degrees. The lights are only about 4" above the tank so without the fans I suspect heat would be a pretty big issue.

The two end fans blow inward and the two top fans blow outward.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc222/dandubya/CIMG0758.jpg

Drag Racer
10/02/2007, 10:09 AM
can the lights be controled seperate from the fans?

arc eye
10/02/2007, 08:35 PM
negatory............at least not the fans I got, but at five dollars a piece I can't complain