PDA

View Full Version : Brain Help Please :):):) Coral Experts

re_vogel
09/29/2007, 07:51 PM
have had a Brain for several months. Yesterday at lunch i checked the tank and noticed a small part of the Brain was inflamed. At 7pm when i got home about 1/8 of the brain skeleton was showing. I think it is my coral beauty but I don't want to get rid of a perfectly good fish and then find out it is some other issue

Two questions

1) What caused this. Is it something in my tank or some issue with the Brain itself. Stocklist:

Blue Tang
3 Green Chromis
2 Clowns
1 Cleaner Wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 peperment shrimp
4 turbo snails
Several Blue Leg hermit crabs

2) Will the Brain recover and is there anything I can do to help

Thanks

rlee81indy
09/29/2007, 08:15 PM
what are you parameters testing at....we need more info, everything

re_vogel
09/29/2007, 08:36 PM
Parms are all good. Tank is 1 + year old Reef. This appears to be something in the tank.

Sheol
09/29/2007, 09:08 PM
What kind of brain coral? The common name is much too generic. If its a Trachyphyllia brain, your angel is 90% your number one culprit. For some reason, even many tangs like to munch on these. Its a taste or texture thing. If your brain is a Favid coral, your angel is still suspect, but there could well be other culprits or causes.

Matthew

igotthatFIREman
09/29/2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=287706

pictures of his brain. lol. i love when people post on swf.com and here the same thing.
ive done it too ;)

cwilson
12/26/2007, 11:41 AM
this is just a thought, but...........

i know some people, and unfortunatly ive seen a few LFS do this, but they will confuse true peppermints (Lysmata wurdemanni) with camel/mechanical shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis) and i know the camels can soemtimes be destructive. you may just want to doube chcek that...

usmc121581
12/26/2007, 12:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10870981#post10870981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sheol
What kind of brain coral? The common name is much too generic. If its a Trachyphyllia brain, your angel is 90% your number one culprit. For some reason, even many tangs like to munch on these. Its a taste or texture thing. If your brain is a Favid coral, your angel is still suspect, but there could well be other culprits or causes.

Matthew

I would go as far as saying its 99% the angel. But a clear bowl over the coral to protect. Then if it is still acting that way somethings wrong with it. If it starts acting normal then its the fish. But like mentioned above. That is the reason why my hippo tang is leaving to find a new home. He doesnt know it yet but when I catch him is will be going into the sump tll I find him a home. Back to the topic. I have a clear bowl over my Trach. and he acts fine I remove the bowl and he's a snack for the tang.