PDA

View Full Version : Help,Mg test is not changing color

stingythingy45
09/30/2007, 09:02 AM
Anybody here have experience with Red Sea Mg test?
Tried to get a Salifert test but thet're getting hard to find.
I followed the directions to a tee 3 times and I emptied the small syringe and never got a color change to blue.
Is theis test kit bad or could my Mg be high/
Any help would be great.......thanks

SlowCobra
09/30/2007, 09:06 AM
Mg is probably high. Refill the syringe and keep going until it changes color. Or just do a dry run so to speak and spray 2 full syringes in to make sure that the kit actually will change colors and isn't bad.

stingythingy45
09/30/2007, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a plan......thanks.
I sqeezed out the required 4 ml. in first and then the whole syringe and nothing.I'll try another full syringe one drop at a time.
You gotta love test kits that take more of the solution to get results.I'll post if it works and I get a change...........thanks again.

stingythingy45
09/30/2007, 10:19 AM
I noticed the color change on the second syringe after an addictional .04 regent C.
That makes it a total of 1 M.L.x2000=2000ppm Mg in the tank right now.:(
Am I screwed or will it come down eventually?
It's odd because the bryopsis looks fine.
I just did a water change(6 gallons in a 55 gal tank) yesterday and after the test didn't seem to work added 60 ml of ESV Magnesium suppliment.:eek1:
Heard that I.O was low to begin with.
Now it's high,even though the test color didn't go a really dark purple.
My calcium is 400
My Alk is 10 DKH
My SG is 1.026

SlowCobra
09/30/2007, 10:22 AM
Do you have a local club in the area or know someone with a different test to verify it? I have heard that high Mg is not a huge issue if it is short term. Don't keep dosing it until you know for sure what it is at. It will eventually come down with a couple water changes.

stingythingy45
09/30/2007, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately I don't know of anyone nearby.
I posted this on my local reefer site also.
Gee I never expected dosing Mg would be so hard to test for.
I read Randy's stuff about Mg.
I'm really bummed today as I lost a Foxface Rabbit fish this morning also.Not sure if this was Mg related as it was awfully skinny.Bad day all around...
I definitely will not dose anymore.
:(

steve the plumb
09/30/2007, 12:10 PM
You can do a water change to try and lower it but I don't know how much you would have to change out

stingythingy45
10/01/2007, 06:24 AM
I'm guessing that the Rea Sea magnesium test is wrong.
Why would I have 2000 ppm of Mg with just using I.O. water and dosing 90 ml. of ESV magnesium suppliment?According to the direstions it would take 1.5 ml. per gallon dosed for a week to raise Mg 100 ppm.I guess that was another wasted $18 for the Mg. test.I'm not going to dose and going to get another test kit ordered when I can.