PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

Reefer07
09/30/2007, 06:13 PM
Should I have the temp. up on my tank like I do when I am doing a FW cycle?
I bought 10lbs of LR yesturday for my 10 gallon nano but the rock is VERY cured. There is coralline algae all over it and plenty of little worms. In one of the rock there was a snail clankin around and right now he is out walking around like he owns the place.
The tank was setup yesturday and I just tested my water:
ammonia: .25
nitrites: .25

kau_cinta_ku
09/30/2007, 06:15 PM
have yur temp set to what you want it to be when running all the time. around 79 degrees

demonsp
09/30/2007, 06:38 PM
You want everything as normal as possible. Just because there are worms and purple coraline on the rock this doesnt mean its fully cured. Sometimes the smell test works but the best bet is to test the water daily.

Reefer07
09/30/2007, 09:28 PM
My rock was in the shop in the show tanks for at least 2 months. My buddy works at my LFS and he hooked me up with it.
If I don't see that much more of a spike and my levels reach 0 is it ok to add a few frags and some more inverts like snails and crabs?

demonsp
09/30/2007, 09:37 PM
Its best to get all or most of your LR upfront. But if it is fully cured LR then i would get my cleanup crew going. Mb half what you need. Then if your tank is 4 months old and readings are goos then next week add a coral and a fish. then add more stock slowy and you will be fine.
Just add the aggressive fish upfront and then the most aggressive last. Its best if you preplan all stock to reduce loss and stress. GL

Reefer07
09/30/2007, 10:03 PM
Well my water levels as of now were listed in my initial post. If they drop to 0 can I add some crabs and snails aka "cleanup" crew. I don't plan on adding fish for a month or so because all I plan to have in this 10 is a pair of clowns.
Also, could you recommend me some "cleanup crew" members for my tank. This way I can go research them tomorow and figure out what I plan on getting.