PDA

View Full Version : clam question

hd dude
09/30/2007, 07:28 PM
I get a clam over the weekend and he is sitting nice on the sand bed, but every time a fish swims by it closes up. also he has not fully opened up yet, meaning its fins ( I think that is what its called ) are not hangging over like in the store.

I have 400 watt of MH and also have VHO running so I think its enough light the MH come on for 6 hours and the vho's for 10.

any idea if this is normal.

Drake1
09/30/2007, 08:32 PM
I would up the halides to 8 hours and everything sounds normal. Closing when a fish swims by is a good sign that it is sensitive and still alive. it will stop that after it had been in the tank and acclimated also it will open up when it feels comfortable

mbbuna
10/01/2007, 07:53 AM
what lighting was the clam under at the store and how did you acclimate it to your lighting?

what fish do you have?

hd dude
10/01/2007, 07:35 PM
At the store it was under MH, I floated the clam for 1 hour and was told not to dip it, I placed it on the sand bed and it seems to like it there as it has not moved. as for fish I have 2 clowns 1 Nanso and a black angel with a white dot on the side of it, I was told this is the only angel that is reef safe. now I do have one fish I wish I didnt have - soho tang it is a great fish and does not bother anything had it a little over a year, but people say to get rid of it not sure if I will or not.

I was told that 8 hours is to long for MH... everyone has told me differnt thigs about how long to leave the MH on..

mbbuna
10/02/2007, 01:10 AM
do you have a link or photo of the "black angel". make sure nothing is picking at the clam