PDA

View Full Version : upgrade to a 75 gal

gimmito
10/01/2007, 12:04 AM
I upgraded to a 75 gal (from a 55 gal) and have a 40 gal sump w/fuge. I have 100 lbs. of live rock set up in a 2 island rockscape w/ lots of caves,overhangs,etc. I also have about 2 1/2" live aragonite sandbed. I thought this might be a good time to get some fish I've been wanting to keep. I kept the pair of ocellaris clownfish and hope to add the following:

1 male bartletts anthias
3-4 female bartletts anthias
1 potters pygmy angelfish
1 flame pygmy angelfish
1 yellow tang

The potters & flame will be introduced together.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

opiumpipez
10/01/2007, 11:28 AM
in my 75 i have

yellow longnose butterfly
flame
pair of true percs
1 female bartletts anthias
sixline wrasse
and a couple really tiny gobies.

im not really a fan of multiple angels in anything less than 100g as i have had issues in the past with a flame and cherub.

cant say much about a tang as i have never owned one. anthias eat like crazy!

BucNtears
10/01/2007, 02:10 PM
Keep us posted on the potters.I'm thinking of getting 1 also

gimmito
10/01/2007, 10:37 PM
opiumpipez, Did you introduce the flame and cherub together? were they similiar in size? was one a female and one a male? I thought I could try the potters and flame because I read in scott w. michaels book on angelfishes that they have are known to crossbreed.

gimmito
10/01/2007, 10:43 PM
Bucntears, What type of fishes do you keep in your 75 ? Congrat's on your newest addition to family....getting enough sleep ?

mile sq. reefer
10/01/2007, 11:24 PM
Looks ok but I would add one of the Centropyge angels not both. Also, if you have a reef, adding one of these species can be problematic for your corals. The Flame may be a better choice than the Potters.

gimmito
10/02/2007, 10:04 AM
Mile, Thanks for the input, I'm going to give both pygmy's a try and watch them closely for the next 24 hours. I noticed you have a mystery wrasse...a truly beautiful fish. If the 2 pygmys don't workout, I'm seriouly considering one (but at 100 bucks a pop I could'nt tell the wife about that one). You've had a cleaner wrasse for 3 years ? Did you get him to eat live food or something ?

mile sq. reefer
10/02/2007, 02:36 PM
gimmito, your welcome. I love my Mystery wrasse but they can be a problem when they grow and become more aggressive. Mine has limited my ability to add a few more smaller peaceful fish to the system (ie yellow assessor, helfrichi firefish). If you do get one make sure its the last fish added. $100 for one is a great price, thats around what I paid for mine.

Regarding the cleaner wrasse, I got lucky, the so called exception to the rule. He is truly a character, cleans my fish and eats everything I place in the tank. Frozen, pellets, flake, even Nori. Go figure. I'll have to make a video of it and post.

Good luck with the new additions.

BucNtears
10/02/2007, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10884586#post10884586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gimmito
Bucntears, What type of fishes do you keep in your 75 ? Congrat's on your newest addition to family....getting enough sleep ?

As far as the other fish I've got
1 perc clown
1 dusty jawfish
1 bi colored blenny
1 starry blenny
1 clown goby
2 purple firefish
1 yellow watchmen goby / pistol shrimp

{1} fire shrimp ,{1} cleaner shrimp ,{1}gold coral banded shrimp
{2}peppermint shrimp

{1}tiger striped serpent star
{1}brittle sea star yellow

As with the new addition he{2.5 yrs.} is the best thing thats ever happened to me.
Talk about a grounding rod

Jeffrey Porter
10/03/2007, 07:39 AM
In my 75 i've got about 24+ tiger and bridle gobies, 1 golden dwarf angel, 4 chromis. Looking to add 2-4 small reef butterflies, a cardianal fish and a few dragonets. And i'll see whatever else i an catch.

opiumpipez
10/03/2007, 10:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10884539#post10884539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gimmito
opiumpipez, Did you introduce the flame and cherub together? were they similiar in size? was one a female and one a male? I thought I could try the potters and flame because I read in scott w. michaels book on angelfishes that they have are known to crossbreed.

actually, the were both pretty similar in size..about 2.5" ea. also, i am not sure on the sex so that could certainly have been my downfall.

gimmito
10/03/2007, 06:17 PM
I added a couple of bangaii cardinalfish yesterday and they are very cool fish (I had a breeding pair of pajamas in my old 55 gal). My friend who owns a lfs and quarantines my fish for me has had trouble getting bartletts anthias lately, so I'm probably just get a sunburst (aka fathead) anthias. He's also going to try and see if the flame and potters angels will be compatable while quarantining them also. I think I'll wait on the shoal of anthias when I upgrade to a 180+ tank.
BucNtears, Sounds like a nice community of fish...I always wanted the watchmen goby and pistol shrimp combo.

gimmito
10/03/2007, 06:25 PM
Opiumpipez, I'm going to try 1 male and 1 female angel and pray they get along. Did you read the thread where a guy in sweden has a shoal of flames in his tank? very cool.

gimmito
10/20/2007, 10:44 PM
Okay guys I just finished stocking the tank !
I ended up with the following:
2 ocellaris clownfish
2 bangaii cardnalfish
1 solar wrasse
1 juvenile flame angel
1 juvenile yellow tang
1 juvenile kole tang
Thanks to everyone's imput ! Until the next upgrade !!

mile sq. reefer
10/21/2007, 09:07 AM
gimmito, I'm not the tang police, but I would only add one of the two you have listed. Both are great choices but a 75 will be to small. I'd just add the yellow because of the color it will add and its appetite for different types of algae.

xxseawolf
10/21/2007, 10:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11018725#post11018725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mile sq. reefer
gimmito, I'm not the tang police, but I would only add one of the two you have listed. Both are great choices but a 75 will be to small. I'd just add the yellow because of the color it will add and its appetite for different types of algae. i second that.

gimmito
10/21/2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys...That's why I went with 2 2"juveniles. I'm planning on a 180+ in wall tank after our remodel next year...so those guys will have "plenty" of room then.