PDA

View Full Version : My reef under the microscope

jerf
10/01/2007, 10:40 AM
I gave a water sample and a scoope of gravel from my reef to a biology teacher who works at a near by high school. He took it to his classroom for his kids to look at under the microscope. The video is what the microscope recorded.

The only animal that I can identify is the amphipod. That's the big critter with the huge claws.

Definitely some cool stuff.

Here's the video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4gEFUjd2BP8).

happyhourhero
10/01/2007, 10:42 AM
Thats pretty cool! Thanks for sharing. I've always wanted to do this.

JTEAGUE
10/01/2007, 10:47 AM
That is almost scarey

saltwater4life1
10/01/2007, 11:12 AM
Cool, I think a peice of live rock would be cool to see whats living on it

S_Stoney_S
10/01/2007, 12:53 PM
Pretty cool, regretting swallowing that siphon water earlier now though in a really big way. Common stomach acid, show them whose boss.

zyglow
10/01/2007, 12:58 PM
Wow! I've always wanted to try something like that.

jerf
10/01/2007, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10880257#post10880257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by S_Stoney_S
Pretty cool, regretting swallowing that siphon water earlier now though in a really big way. Common stomach acid, show them whose boss.

Hah. I had the same thought.

Oh, btw - the big dark things that aren't moving in one of the segments is sugar fine aragonite. That should give you some scale on how tiny things are. I guess 'live sand' truly is live.

m2434
10/01/2007, 10:02 PM
very cool, makes me want a new microscope.... oh #@$$^$ already spent too much on this hobby!

tunaluver
10/02/2007, 01:21 AM
haha wow thats creepy that big

Paintbug
10/02/2007, 06:13 AM
the little worm looking thing is probably an epitoke. which it basically a baby bristle worm. i will look at a sample from time to time under a microscope as well. there is some freaky creatures in there for sure. Rotifers are pretty cool to watch under a scope as well.

filmoholic
10/02/2007, 06:43 AM
that's sweet! Thanks for posting that.

Aquarist007
10/02/2007, 07:28 AM
your water is in great condition as far as supporting life.
Are you using a refugium?
I would love to see a video of someones refugium to compare the life in there to the water column.

jerf
10/02/2007, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10885717#post10885717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
your water is in great condition as far as supporting life.
Are you using a refugium?
I would love to see a video of someones refugium to compare the life in there to the water column.

That's what I took from this too. I don't really have a realy 'fuge right now, but my frag tank is acting as one for now. The sand was taken from it.
I would think that the display tank would have a similar distribution of species, only since I have fish who hunt them, there would be smaller populations.
It would be interesting to do a survey of what exactly we have in our tanks.

Aquarist007
10/02/2007, 10:09 AM
this is also good evidence that you don't have to dose extra amino acids, zooplankton, phyto etc.
Because I am running a healthy refugium I can see the life in the water when the moon rays come on--
but this is great for no refugium.

Aquarist007
10/02/2007, 10:10 AM
...............what are you running for a filtration system?

Lytehouse
10/02/2007, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10880257#post10880257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by S_Stoney_S
Pretty cool, regretting swallowing that siphon water earlier now though in a really big way. Common stomach acid, show them whose boss. :D :D

No kidding, how many times has this happened and you wondered what you just inhaled?

Cool video, thanks for posting.

Aquarist007
10/02/2007, 10:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10886655#post10886655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lytehouse
:D :D

No kidding, how many times has this happened and you wondered what you just inhaled?

Cool video, thanks for posting.

LOL--that's kind of considered the initiation to the reef hobby.

After that you learn to use a power head :D

jerf
10/02/2007, 11:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10886604#post10886604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
...............what are you running for a filtration system?

I run the standard; lots of live rock, a EuroReef 6-2, carbon, phosban and chaeto.

I don't have a traditional 'fuge setup (ie. no DSB anywhere, but that might change), but I do have some macro algae running in my frag tank. I know someone who runs his macro right in his display tank, so I figured this would work too.

I'm calling my frag tank my 'fuge because I'm pretty sure it feeds the tank. I've have a fat and happy mandarin for about a year and a half. I'm pretty sure he's living off the frag tank. Given the movie, I'd say I have a pretty micro-life :)

Aquarist007
10/02/2007, 12:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10887405#post10887405 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jerf
I run the standard; lots of live rock, a EuroReef 6-2, carbon, phosban and chaeto.

I don't have a traditional 'fuge setup (ie. no DSB anywhere, but that might change), but I do have some macro algae running in my frag tank. I know someone who runs his macro right in his display tank, so I figured this would work too.

I'm calling my frag tank my 'fuge because I'm pretty sure it feeds the tank. I've have a fat and happy mandarin for about a year and a half. I'm pretty sure he's living off the frag tank. Given the movie, I'd say I have a pretty micro-life :)

this is really good evidence that a protein skimmer carbon and phosban do not kill the life in the water column.
Good news for me because I was considering going refug, and mud refug in the sump only but now I will keep the sump skimmer and phosban reactors.

You can run cheato in the main tank--you just have to watch it clogging the overflow---and tangs will eat it up.

Copopods only use it to hide---they eat phyto---the fug is the only place I add phyto to.