PDA

View Full Version : New Regal Angel

vidrine7322
10/01/2007, 01:12 PM
Hi, I recently received a regal angel on friday afternoon. It was supposed to be a coral sea angel with a yellow belly, i wanted this one due to the improved success rate with it over the indo angels. My angel has a grey belly which is odd if it did come from the coral sea.

Also it hasnt been eating. I've been offering large portions of frozen mysis, mini-mysis, brine shrimp, and cyclops mixed together and no luck. What do you suggest to feed these? And what were they eating in your facility?

dfs/la2
10/01/2007, 01:23 PM
vidrine7322,

Thank you for contacting us with your question on your Angelfish. We apologize for your dissatisfaction with the fish you received. If you could PM us with your order number we would be happy to address this with you.

Stacie R.
Technical Support
Drs Foster and Smith

McCrary
10/03/2007, 12:32 AM
Try leaving nori on a clip or on the rock, that has been really helpful for me. Garlic can also stimulate their appetite and may help to get them eating, also soak the food in selcon which should maximize the nutrition of any food they do eat. Regal angels are incredibly finicky eaters and their success rate is very low, even for people who have experience with delicate fish. If he continues to not eat you may need to provide fresh sea sponges as this is part of their diet in the wild. Foods that they don't have to compete for are going to be the ones that are most likely to succeed as regals are shy at first. Aggressive fish will cause this angel to hide and most likely die as a result. Hope this helps.

LargeAngels
10/03/2007, 11:23 AM
Coral sea regals are blue/grey. Not yellow. Red Sea/Maldives have yellow belly.

Try opened fresh clams from your grocery store. Also, some angels really like Spectrum pellets. Most of my angels, including regals, go nuts over them.

nosferatu51
10/09/2007, 08:27 PM
I am a firm believer that it is not the actual catch location of the Regal that matters, but everything that happens to them in between. The regions where the "gray bellies" are caught are just more prone to bad practices.
I received my gray-bellied Marshall Islands Regal from the Diver's Den about a month and a half ago. Not only is he stunningly beautiful, he eats almost everything I throw in the tank. Rarely do you hear of a Regal that eats flake.... this guy eats it like he was made for it (he also eats thawed clams, formula 2, nori, etc etc). This has led me to believe that it is the treatment of this fish that matters most. He was most likely better coming from the Marshalls than Indonesia or the Philippines (I have lived in both countries and witnessed catching of fish 1st hand). Therefore it is this fact, combined with DFS' treatment, that has made him the quality fish that he is, not his heritage.
Here's a picture of him I took this evening:http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/111803angel1-med.jpg