PDA

View Full Version : RO maintenance

Rae C.
10/01/2007, 03:28 PM
Hello all,

My RO has been offline for about two months due to a broken connector. I don't know how old the media is, as I acquired it used and didn't think to ask.

Is it safe to continue making RO water with the current media? Shoudl I change it out?

Also, I hooked it up wrong and it runs from the hot water pipe instead of cold. Is that a problem?

joeychitwood
10/01/2007, 03:30 PM
Definitely re-plumb the filter to the cold water line. I'd also recommend buying new filter elements to insure you are getting the full benefits of the RO process.

AZDesertRat
10/01/2007, 03:54 PM
If you ran any water over 110 degrees through it it's trashed. RO membranes are extremely thin plastic sheets much thinner than saran wrap so you can imagine what hot water does to them. The only way to tell for sure if it can be used at all is with a TDS meter. Test the tap water TDS then the RO only TDS if you have an RO/DI and finally the RO/DI TDS. The RO should be 90-98% less than the incoming tap water TDS, if its not its time for a new membrane. Prefilters and carbons should last 6 months. Never allow the membrane to dry out either as this will also ruin it.

dwd5813
10/02/2007, 07:53 AM
how do you keep the membrane from drying out? will it just stay wet unless you open it up, or is there something else needed?

AZDesertRat
10/02/2007, 08:22 AM
If your unit has an autoshutoff valve it shuts water off downstream of the membrane so it stays wetted all the time. If not and you either disconnect it or use a ball valve on the tap water side just make sure use the unit once a week or so and water should remain in the membrane housing.

dwd5813
10/02/2007, 11:15 AM
thanks for the info