PDA

View Full Version : GHA and Flow

wickedfood
10/01/2007, 04:43 PM
I'm struggling with GHA, and i think part of the reason is perhaps a lack of flow. I currently run 2 MJ 1200's in my 65g, in addition to a HOB filter and skimmer. Now ofcourse there has to be excess nutrients stemming from somewhere in order for the GHA to be growing in the first place. This is where I'm getting frustrated--I use 3 stage RO water, change 10% weekly, am lightly stocked (3 chromis, a gramma and scooter blenny) and feed light once per day. I keep my daylights on 11hrs/day. I just started running PhosBan along with the carbon in the HOB, but I want to try to get to the source too.

I guess I can put yet another powerhead in to increase flow, closer to the bottom of the tank, though it just seems like overkill--having 5 powerheads running (incl filter and skimmer).

Any advice here??

pdfb55
10/01/2007, 05:33 PM
you could try one of those 3-5 day blackouts. There was a big thread on it a while ago

wickedfood
10/01/2007, 06:03 PM
I'd try that as long as i knew what might be casuing it in the first place, to get a nice push on killing the stuff.

m2434
10/01/2007, 07:27 PM
Generally GHA seems to like strong currents. You want the current to be strong enought to eliminate dead spots, but not too strong...

wickedfood
10/01/2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for that.

m2434
10/01/2007, 08:31 PM
also, might try a foxface or a yellow tang if you have room... otherwise, some blennies can help and although I don't love hermit crabs, dwarf red tip's can help.

good luck, we've all been there.

wickedfood
10/01/2007, 09:01 PM
Yea I wish, but my tank is too small for any tang i think, aswell as a foxface. I'm suspicious of my water source. I have a Coralife RO unit, and I've tested the water with my API kit for Nitrates and Phosphates--both at 0 ppm. But now I understand API can be inaccurate. When I only used distilled water for my previous tank, i never had problem with nuisance algae. This big tank has been pretty overwhelming, as it's a deep too. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't have just stayed small and manageable.