PDA

View Full Version : slime alge?

dadowd
10/02/2007, 09:21 AM
i have this almost black alge growing in my tank. it is sitting on the bottom. how do i get rid of it? i have a 500 gph return pump from the sump and 3 maxijet 400 pumps in the display.
thanks aaron

papagimp
10/02/2007, 10:16 AM
How long has the tank been running? Please list current water test results (actual numbers please). type of lighting, photoperiod, livestock in the tank, feeding schedual, Is this the 55g tank or the 30g? Any other equpiment besides the return pump and 3 MJ400's? Skimmer? HOB filters? Sump?

And anything else you can think of that may help answer a question like this. If you have a pic available that would help alot too. Sounds like cynobacteria to me, but without a pic, can't say for certain. Don't know if that flow is enough or not cause I don't know what size tank you have.

If the problem is cynobacteria, probably just a matter of waiting it out while it consumes the nutrients that fueling it. But still need the rest of the info any real definitive answer, we can only speculate at this point.

dadowd
10/02/2007, 03:05 PM
sorry i have a sump holding about 5 lbs of rock, a pro-clear skimmer, and a little micro alge that came with the rock. it is light on the opposite cycle of my tank, about 12hrs on and off. the tank has been set up for about 3 months and i was told had allready cycled, so i added lievstock.i have a high fish load but was assured it was ok
1- scooter blenny
1- snowflake eel
1- velvet damsel
2 blue damsels
2- firefish
2 arrow crabs
1- banded corral shrimp
and 2- purple tipped anenemones
it was all ok for about a week and then this happened
nitrate is at 5 ppm, Ammonia is at 0 ppm, Nitrite is at 0 ppm, and the ph is at about 8.8

papagimp
10/02/2007, 03:48 PM
so you purchased a system already up and running, moved it to it's current location and then added some new livestock? and it's been up and running for 3 months total or just since you've had it? Moving a pre-existing setup can and often will stir up all sorts of algae causing nutrients that otherwise would have remained traped in either the sandbed or rockwork. That coupled with new livestock additions may have something to do with it.

Is this on the 55g or 30g? What type of lights on the main tank? Are the main lights on for 12hours? Ph also seems a tad high. Do you test phosphates at all?

dadowd
10/02/2007, 07:16 PM
it is on my 55. it was a system that the lfs and myself have puieced together. it has only been setup for about 3 months, i dont have a kit that will phosphate. will that be a useful one to get? the display runs the same period as the sump, and it is running 3 1000 k NO flours at 40w each, and i also have 1 actinic. i am looking to add halides, but i was also told i wont want that for about a year by my lfs. where do i want my ph anyways?