PDA

View Full Version : Checkerboard Nerite hatching?

barbra
10/02/2007, 10:17 AM
I have 6 checkerboard Nerites in my 120g. They lay eggs frequently, but it seems they do not hatch. I was told by someone (I don't recall the source) that they will not hatch in captivity.

Last night on a flashlight search of the tank I found a baby Nerite, just a tiny little guy but with all the appropriate markings. I have only been able to locate the single youngster, there don't seem to be others. The tank has had nothing added that could accommodate a snail so I know it didn't come in as a hitchhiker.

I find it very hard to believe that I have bred a snail that nobody else has bred. Does anybody else have any accounts of Checkerboard Nerites breeding successfully?

Travis L. Stevens
10/02/2007, 10:29 AM
It's not that they don't hatch. Actually, they almost always do. It's soon after hatching, they become a quick midnight snack :)

Travis L. Stevens
10/02/2007, 10:30 AM
Also, double check to make sure it isn't a Collonista Snail (which are good guys, too)

barbra
10/02/2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks Travis. It isn't a Collonista, I am sure of that. I am glad this one has survived so far. I may not see this one again for months considering the size of the tank vs. size of the critter.

Do you know how large they are at birth? The one I saw is about the size of a pot seed. (Incriminating I know, but it's the only size comparison I can think of)

Travis L. Stevens
10/02/2007, 11:33 AM
Was it long and conical in shape, or round like most Nerites?

barbra
10/02/2007, 12:01 PM
Round.