PDA

View Full Version : Will my PPE zoanthid live???

Kaos
10/02/2007, 06:30 PM
I got this frag of PPE zoo's a few weeks ago. Shortly after I got it I noticed some long, orange tentacle type things coming out of a hole on the side of the piece of LR the PPE's were attached to. I thought it was cool looking and didn't seem to bother anyone so I left it alone. Now I guess it's bothered my PPE's to the point that they were completely closed all night tonight (very abnormal). Not too long ago they released themselves from the rock and started floating around the tank. Thank God I caught it quickly. Well, when I went to re-attach them to another rock I realized I didn't have any more super glue gel laying around. I made a quick run to the local store and they didn't have any in stock. So I came home, took out the piece of rock to glue them to, and used some 7 min. 2 part epoxy I had. I mixed up some of the epoxy and let it set until it was starting to kick-off. I took some of the epoxy and put on the rock and took the PPE's and stuck them on it (out of the tank). I had to leave them out for about 5 min. to let the epoxy harden enough to hold them (it doesn't stick well to rock nor zoo's especially when they hit the water).

Now the colony is back in the tank, all closed up tight of course. They do still have their color although somewhat light. My question is do you think they will survive the lengthy term out of the water and the stress of all this? TIA.

phurst
10/02/2007, 07:55 PM
That ammount of time out of the water will not hurt them. The only possible issue I see is, most of those epoxies heat up as they cure. Ususaly not much of a problem, but since they were already stressed, who knows.

edwing206
10/02/2007, 08:09 PM
They will be fine. I had some random PE's turn a REALLY light color snd shrink snd they have come back.

Kaos
10/02/2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the responses. Well, they seemed like they might be starting to open. I seen a hair like thing waving around by them so I tried to remove it thinking it might be irritating them. When I lightly touched the colony it became unattached again. I have it in a place where it shouldn't go anywhere for the night. Tomarrow I will stop and pic up some super glue gel on my way home from work. I may buy a case of the stuff so I will always have some on hand and this will not happen again.