PDA

View Full Version : How to polish acrylic edges?

javajaws
10/03/2007, 10:30 AM
So I'll be building a small tank later this week and I'd like to polish the edges. The way I usually build with acrylic is to join the edges and leave about 1/8" overlap on one of the pieces. I'll then route that off with a router. I also usually pull the paper off about an inch from the edge so the weldon doesn't seem into it.

So, how do I do about polishing the edges AFTER the tank is built? Do I have to worry about messing up the 1" of acrylic that is exposed around the edge?

What do you guys suggest using to do the polishing? (Preferably something I can get locally at HD or a plastics store). I've got a grinder, palm sander, disc sander, and a porter cable random orbit buffer (for car waxing) I can use.

The tank will be about 24x24x12...

What do you'll suggest?

ezrec
10/03/2007, 11:47 AM
Google is your friend: "acrylic polishing"

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ACRYLIC_FINISHING.htm

Flame polishing is not recommended for corner joins, as it will stress the plastic, weakening the seam.

S_Stoney_S
10/03/2007, 12:22 PM
Have always used a flat metal ruller and then followed up with some 'brasso' polish for a shine (if its not going to be internal that is).

Use the metal ruler to draw backwards at roughly a 45degree angle over the edge of the acrylic. This should slowly shave the inperfections in the edge off. Do it a few times making sure draw back from each side at least once and not to stop halfway. Having done this you should have a fairly perfect edge.

To make it shine get a rag and apply polish. Rub like crazy.. = shiney shiney.

Personally I prefer the matt edge that the ruler method gives you. And I would practice on some scraps first as with any DIY project :p

good luck