PDA

View Full Version : Refugium/Sump Idea...How will this work?

TriniStylez
10/03/2007, 11:20 AM
I have a 33G Im using for a sump/refugium but I really just want it to be as big of a refugium as possible. I am plumbing both my return pump and skimmer externally, so they will not take up any space. But Im wondering how I should set this up? I wanted to just have the drain from the tank go into a refugium and nothing else. Basically the whole 33G is a refugium with the skimmer plumbed in. I thought about using egg-crate or something even finer to block anything from getting to the bulkhead for the return pump and that way too, evaporation would not be a factor because I am not using an auto-top off right now. The reason I thought this might work too is because Im going to be using the "herbie" style overflow, so very minimal bubbles and I think just a filter sock on the end of the drain for debris might work. Not sure though, so Im asking...

1.Would this work?
2.Does anyone have pics of a similar set up?
3.Would it be better to have a first section before the refugium for the drain line and to also plumb the skimmer into?

Thanks.

kgross
10/03/2007, 01:25 PM
THere is no problem having your drains feed into the fuge section. If you have any bubbles the algea will help to trap them so unless you are running a pretty high flow your idea will work very well. The egg crate should also work to hold the algea into place and keep it out of your skimmer pump and return pump. On your filter sock. I would not use it, the stuff that it catches would be used for food for stuff in your fuge.

Now if you want to maximizing your skimmers effeciance having a seperate section for the skimmer would be a good idea. You can set the system up so that the water from your overflow goes to your skimmer, and then on to the rest of your fuge/sump. If you setup your return pump correctly, you will have the same flow rate through the skimmer as the sump and you can keep the fresh unskimmed water seperate from the skimmed water so your skimmer is skimming only fresh unskimmed water from the overflow rather than a mix of skimmed and unskimmed water.

kim

TriniStylez
10/03/2007, 05:12 PM
I think the problem for me doing that is that my return pump is way to powerful. My skimmer pump cannot even come close to keeping up with it. I was still thinking though that it might be good to have a few baffles and a section before the fuge that the skimmer draws water from and then the skimmer returns it into the fuge section. Im just not sure if that makes any difference at all. Either way, the skimmer is not getting all the water before it goes into the fuge.

TriniStylez
10/03/2007, 10:26 PM
Bump

hebygb
10/04/2007, 06:47 AM
I think the preference for your fuge is unskimmed water. At least that is what mine likes. My fuge is a completely segregated from my sump though for a couple of reasons. I do't like algae that close to my return pump (potentially clogging etc) and I like to put things in my fuge such as snails, crabs, stars, small damsels, along with macros and mangroves. These critters could also find there way to either my pump which could lead to a death of some kind... theres certainly and worse yet... my pump.

sounds like you are thinking this through but here is my question... if you have the room to house external skimmer and pump, can you rethink the size of your sump to accomodate a refuge, in sump skimmer and return pump, using baffles?

TriniStylez
10/04/2007, 11:14 AM
I actually do not have much room under my stand, thats why only the 33G. The skimmer is being run externally because I have to keep it outside my stand (theres no room). I thought that since my skimmer is going to be outside the sump and that since the return pump will also be, that I may as well just use the whole sump as a refugium instead. Im just looking for the best way to do this. And especially where to have my skimmer intake and return lines.

bhbell
10/04/2007, 12:47 PM
Not sure i understand the physical layout that you're dealing with, but on mine I have tank overflow go into a manifold that then feeds to both the skimmer and fuge sections they then both feed into the return pump section thru bubble traps. I control the flow with ball valves to both skimmer & fuge and usually run the skimmer full open and the fuge at about 1/3 capacity to provide a low flow setting for the fuge section. On my must recent one I also put another ball valve off of the fuge feed that goes to a male hose connection. With that I can just hook up a garden hose and run the other end to a utility sink, close both fuge and skimmer valves and drain water down for water changes without buckets.