PDA

View Full Version : Stocking for 10 gallon tank

Reefer07
10/03/2007, 01:45 PM
I have just setup my 10 gallon reef about a week ago with very cured rock and it has already finished cycling as of last night.
I was thinking of doing a pair of clowns but I was also wondering if I could throw a goby in there like a firefish.
Any of you think a pair of clowns and this goby would be too much?
There is 2 nice hiding places in my tank, I don't know if this would be enough for him.
Also, about the clowns I was thinking of doing 1 black and 1 orange...would this be a bad idea? I was going to introduce them at the same time.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

petoonia
10/03/2007, 02:20 PM
I would give it a little more time just to make sure your tank can handle the bio load from two fish. You wouldn't want to add them and then have a problem with ammonia. Just give it enough time to get established a bit more.

I would add the clowns together, then wait at least a month or so and see how the tank handles their bio load. If things look good as far water parameters I would go ahead and add a goby.

Good luck!!!

Reefer07
10/03/2007, 03:38 PM
Ya I plan to get the fish this weekend. Keep in mind I also have a filter from an already established tank and I will be picking up about 2 cups of sand from a person I met on here that has an established tank. I plan to test the rest of the week and hopefully the levels stay the same.
I just thought it would be smart to add the goby first as it is a less aggressive fish and that would give it time to adjust to its habitat/claim its territory.
Also, you don't think a black clown and an orange would be a problem if introduced at the same time? Is the color really just the difference or is there a bigger difference between them?

Moonstream
10/03/2007, 03:41 PM
the clowns should be okay, and adding the firefish first would be a good idea. just an ID thing, firefish arent gobies, they are dartfish. true gobies have fused pelvic fins. but stocking sounds fine.

thor32766
10/03/2007, 03:49 PM
clowns or the firefish are awesome too! I love mine.

Randy1
10/03/2007, 04:34 PM
I really wouldn't put fish in a 10 gal. its way too small, try some colorfull zoes, mushrooms..ect.

Reefer07
10/03/2007, 05:25 PM
I am doing corals too.
Now because you said you wouldn't put fish in there my question is would they be OK in there?

petoonia
10/03/2007, 07:54 PM
I kept a percula clown, and a blue damsel in a 10G for quite awhile years ago after my tank had crashed. They were fine. Adding the firefish first would probably be a better idea.

Adding the two different clowns shouldnt be a problem. I have a true perc, and false perc mated pair. I never had any issues with them not getting along. (Although the female can be quite bossy)

If you want corals in the tank eventually. Keep a close eye on the nitrates. You really want to keep them as close to zero as possible. With 3 fish that might be a problem.

A 10G is kind of hard to work with, you might want to consider upgrading a little bit. The more water volume you have the more stable your water parameters will be.

Good luck!!!

Reefer07
10/03/2007, 09:29 PM
Ya I am aware of that...it is all I have to work with in my college dorm hahaha.
Is the firefish really going to make that much difference in the 10 as far as adding to the nitrates?
I could go with just the 2 clowns or 1 clown.
How much does Chaeto algae really help reducing nitrates? I have a good size ball of that. Or what are some other ways in reducing nitrates?

mile sq. reefer
10/03/2007, 10:34 PM
Go with a mated pair of Percula clowns. Forgo the Firefish. The tank can support the pair. Make sure you skim and conduct weekly 10% water changes.

petoonia
10/03/2007, 10:37 PM
The best way to keep nitrates down is to do regular water changes. Be careful not overfeed, it is very easy too especially with a smaller tank. I do think the chaeto helps quite a bit.

Honestly 2 clowns are better than one. Personally I think you will be ok with the three fish, as long as you keep up with your tanks maintenance. Just be patient, and try not to add your fish to quickly. Trust me I know waiting is the hardest part.

Why dont you start out with a clean up crew first. Maybe get a few snails, hermits, maybe an emerald crab. Just dont add too many because they will starve. You will need them eventually. I always like to take care of the cleanup crew first.

Reefer07
10/03/2007, 10:59 PM
Well I know that but I am trying to identify my algae here and look at what they eat. I also heard hermits can pick at corals and I don't want any of that.
I was going to get the firefish in there this weekend and a couple more snails.
The more I read though the more I see that people have problems with clowns together so I thought of just 1 clown and the firefish? Even though there is only a few different type of fish a 10 can support this is kind of hard picking the stocking haha

mile sq. reefer
10/04/2007, 12:50 PM
Clowns are not a problem if you get a mated pair. I would wait.