PDA

View Full Version : Sugar doseing Method

sin05_omar
10/04/2007, 12:14 AM
Hi,

recently saw lots of people doesing sugar into their tanks... What does it do... Does it really imrpove SPS colouration... Could anyone answer me or point me to a correct thread... Thanks...

lotus02
10/04/2007, 06:40 AM
Here's a thread I read a while ago very long but I think the info your looking for is here. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=898931&highlight=sugar

markandkristen
10/04/2007, 11:04 AM
i have dosed sugar mainly to reduce phosphates and nitrates. it helped alot. i dont do it all the time just when i think i have over fead the tank for a while and i see excess algae or phoshpates.
onmy 150 i did a half a teaspoon and worked my way up to a tablespoon over a weeks period then slowly back down.
you have to have a good skimmer to aid in the process.

cweder
10/04/2007, 07:59 PM
Measure your nitrates weekly, this will be your guide. Dont try to go to fast. I try for a gradual reduction over a month or longer. Once you get to where you want, then cut your dose down or stop and keep on measuring to see how fast they come back. You dont want to get to zero nitrates and keep on dosing the same, this will only hurt your tank. The sugar feeds the bacteria, which start multipliing fast which uses up alot of oxygen and lowers your pH, so keep your skimmer running with plenty of fresh air if possible to help stabalize your pH. It can create bacterial imbalances that can harm your inhabitants. Some people like to add white vinegar (acetic acid), zeostart 2 or vodka as an additional or substitute carbon source for the same effect. The theory behind using more than one carbon source is that it doesnt favor just one set of bacteria and may help keep things in balance. You can take it a step farther and dose the healthy bacteria to ensure you keep the right kind of bacteria going strong. You shouldnt have to depend on this method, but it sure works short term.