PDA

View Full Version : mating clownfish

reeflver
10/04/2007, 05:36 PM
iam not very familiur with mating clown fish i need help

sruiz
10/04/2007, 11:18 PM
welcome to reefcentral. I think you might learn more in the newbie section. But let me throw in my two cents.
First there are to many ways to do it. But let me tell you about the sexes. All clowns are males when born. If you have a group of two or more the biggest , will tend to pick on the smaller fish. Well that big mean fish will most likely turn into the Female. All males can turn to females but females cannot turn back in males.
Don't get a big fish to start with,especially if you think its a female. big fish like to take over their territory. So if you throw in a small fish later it will most likely kill it or fight it until you pull him out.
Go to a fish store find a group of clowns, buy the smallest one of the group(most likely no the big mean female). Put him in your tank a week or two weeks later, go back to the fish store and buy the biggest one in a group. Since the big fish is put in later it might not be as aggressive towards the little one because its not his territory. After a while you might see them hang out together. I'm sure you will still see the big one nip at the little fish but thats natural. The big fish will later let the little one know whos the boss. And the little one lets him know by swimming sideways and acting like he is having a seizer. he will start shaking towards the bigger one, thats how he tells the big female he doesn't want any and backs down. Be careful though what works for someone might not work for someone else.

sruiz
10/04/2007, 11:21 PM
I also heard its best not to keep anything else in your tank. Only the clowns and thats it. No other fish.

sruiz
10/04/2007, 11:25 PM
check out my pics and you can see my clowns in their anemone.

barjam
10/06/2007, 07:23 PM
I just chucked a couple babies in a year ago now they now reproduce like crazy. I also have other fish in the tank.

AR16
10/09/2007, 11:25 AM
I have one maroon clownfish, a big female, that I thought would be my only fish. But I was actually able to keep a blenny in with her as well as some other fish.

stringcheese
10/10/2007, 01:45 PM
I have to say...They ARE females FIRST!
Sorry...I've just heard that too often...HAD 2 FLAME.

gary faulkner
10/12/2007, 09:26 PM
reeflver

[welcome]

kydsexy
10/14/2007, 03:47 PM
put them in the tank. keep them healthy. you'll have babies

Time4chillie
10/14/2007, 06:53 PM
all clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites. this means that they are able to change sex whenever it is beneficial in the system they are living in. The male clownfish is always the smaller of the two, and the larger will always become a female. the reason for this is in an evolutionary stand point. it is more beneficial to have a large female which can produce many more eggs than a small female. a small male is able to fertilize many females which in turn produce large amounts of eggs, so having a large male is less beneficial because a small male and a large will do the same job. This is why females are almost always the larger because just looking at the numbers when spawning, a large female has a much larger capacity for developing eggs than a smaller female. Many different types of reef fish are found to be sequential hermaphrodites for this reason. hope this clears things up...

wingmans10
10/14/2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282136

lots of info and help in the clownfish & anen. forum here on RC