PDA

View Full Version : Surface skimmer??

WDWDen
10/04/2007, 07:15 PM
I have a 180 fowlr with a lid. I want to purchase a surface skimmer of some kind, b/c there always seems to be chemicals or algea floating around the top. Do they make skimmers that can be used with a lid? I know most people go lid free, but haveing my eel plus being an inwall tank, I want to keep the lid on. Is there anything you recommend?

USC-fan
10/04/2007, 07:32 PM
do you not have a sump?

anyways, pointing some powerheads towards the surface will help.

WDWDen
10/06/2007, 06:20 PM
Yes, I have a sump, but none of the surface stuff seems to go down into the cornerflows. I don't have any powerheads in my tank. I just use the two return lines for circulation. They are about 4" down in my tank though. Should I get a small powerhead for the top and that will push the surface stuff down?

new_world_disor
10/06/2007, 06:47 PM
i built one for under £10 ( 15 USD )
link :

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1222575

not so preety , but it does a bloody gd job ( i have a neater more effient one on the go at the mo :) )

ad

WDWDen
10/07/2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks man, that actually looks very easy to make. I could do somthing like that with no problems at all. Thanks for the pics.

sjm817
10/07/2007, 03:05 PM
With overflows and a sump, you should not have a surface film issue. Do you have tall stanpipes in the overflows? To surface skim, the water must "fall" into the overflow. The water level INSIDE the overflow must be below the bottom of the teeth.

Is this an AGA with corner megaflows?