PDA

View Full Version : Birdsnest getting RTN or regular??

rsxs1212
10/04/2007, 07:28 PM
ive never really had sps grow out much yet so maybe there is nothing to be worried about.. but my birdnest is starting to sspread and it seams at the base and underneath the stalks there is little to no color.. at the base it is almost completely white then its kinda brownish on some of the branches..

it looks like flesh is not there at all and is only skeleton, def. no polyps in the brownish white areas..im pretty sure it is significant recession.. the part that is there looks fine.. all others seem to be okay but i hear this rtn can spread pretty rappidly.. i havent read up much about it but id like to get some opinions..

RO/DI dip useful here??? i dont wanna loose the coral if i dont have to.. fragging might be tough.. its not really like long enough stalks but if thats what it will take i will try..

thanks in advance

fishdoc11
10/04/2007, 08:24 PM
That is pretty typical for Seriatopora, especially if you don't have a ton of flow. The coral is likely healthy and doesn't need any treatment.
hth, Chris

five.five-six
10/04/2007, 09:24 PM
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4796/pointlesswithoutpics1gw9.jpg

rsxs1212
10/04/2007, 09:27 PM
yeah i know i need to get a pic.. its a tough spot.. i think i have adequate flow for it, the polyps that are extended seems to move around in all directions and its not direct by anymeans.. also great color to which is colored..

ill get pics up ASAP

aquarius77
10/04/2007, 09:29 PM
I belive not enough light will also do that, as well as flow. They really need a ton of light and flow to keep that middle healthy and pink.

rsxs1212
10/05/2007, 05:17 PM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/rsxs1212/pictures2001.jpg

rsxs1212
10/05/2007, 05:18 PM
im moving it over to a frag tank soon with brighter lighting and better flow
so hopefully that will help

but let my know if it could possibly be a disease..

fishdoc11
10/05/2007, 07:16 PM
The bad news is that one looks a actually bit smaller than the pieces you would expect to receed in the middle. The good news is that it looks like it has stopped. Newly collected wild seriatoporas are notorious for STN. Older large more established ones typically will receed a bit in the middle with nothing to worry about. Hope that makes sense.
Chris

rsxs1212
10/06/2007, 09:59 PM
so basically what you are saying is, that it shouldnt of happened but it appears as it has stopped and it should stop and if it doesnt then i should worry?? if so i will keep a good eye on it either way.. hopefully it will be okay

fishdoc11
10/06/2007, 10:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10919472#post10919472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsxs1212
so basically what you are saying is, that it shouldnt of happened but it appears as it has stopped and it should stop and if it doesnt then i should worry?? if so i will keep a good eye on it either way.. hopefully it will be okay
Yep:)

MCsaxmaster
10/06/2007, 10:30 PM
Hmmm, that does look troubling. The coral looks rather bleached. I'd try it in dimmer lighting with strong flow and see if it improves. Also, try to get as much food into as feasible (usally they'll gorge on some kinds of small, meaty food if given the chance--mine always seemed to really like cyclopeeze, for example). If you are not seeing any further recession at the moment, great! Let's hope the coral begins to recover and stops receding.

cj

rsxs1212
10/07/2007, 06:27 AM
allright... i coul d never get a straight answer about what kinda placement i should do with this coral with my t5's.. so i put it pretty much at the top.. ill bring it down though and start dosing my phyto and stuff more often.. thanks

fishdoc11
10/07/2007, 08:20 AM
They won't eat phytoplankton although that might help feed other organisms in the tank that the Seriatopora might eventually eat.
Does the coral look as white in person as it does in the pic? It looks to me like the pic could just be a bit overexposed making the coral look lighter. That seems to happen a lot when I take pics of my corals. They will eat zooplanton however like the cyclopeeze MCsaxmaster mentioned.
Chris

rsxs1212
10/07/2007, 12:44 PM
its a bit pinker than the pic shows.. especially from above.. ill have to go pick up some of the cyclopeeze..

ill keep everyone updated if anything bad hapens

rsxs1212
10/07/2007, 12:45 PM
thanks again by the way... its amazing how much knowledge is out there.. some people think i know alot but then you see really how much is out there it almost feels like i know nothing!!!!

starting to get thtere though :)

thanks again

MCsaxmaster
10/07/2007, 01:43 PM
Compared to what is still left to know, all of humanity combined is a bit of a dim bulb ;)

fishdoc11
10/07/2007, 02:38 PM
Glad we could help a little........I know I feel pretty dim from time to time:p

barjam
10/07/2007, 02:59 PM
I have a pink birds nest, the ends are more pointy but roughly the same color (tad darker). I also have a 75 with 4x54 T5 lights and I placed mine less than halfway up and it is doing great.

Also I suggest not putting new SPS all the way at the top, I did that first under my lights (assuming I didn't have enough light) and I bleached stuff easily (not RTN, bleached as in pale). This is coming from metal halide systems, I have no idea how that happens.

Back to your coral, the brown looks like nuisance algae, try blowing it off with a turkey baster. Look at the brown that is growing on the frag plug, that isn't new growth, that is a brown cyano type algae.

That is my opinion anyhow. One more thing, if I am right that would indicate not enough flow as that type of algae blows off pretty easy, I hope I am wrong!