PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop/Return Plumbing Question

namwodahs
10/05/2007, 08:39 AM
I've got a Dart pump for a CL and I wanted to also use it as my return pump. I was thinking of putting a check valve just outside of my sump to stop the backflow and just plumb the CL and return through the Dart.

Would this idea work? Will I be able to get enough flow through the sump or will most of it try to come through the CL drain because of the resistance from the check valve? Should I put in 2 check valves in case of 1 of them failing or is that overkill?

Thanks!
Jason

hebygb
10/05/2007, 08:59 AM
I like the idea of two pumps. Even if your Dart fails, you still have flow to your fuge (and skimmer) and back to tank. Contrary, if your Mag18 fails, you still have flow via closed loop.

Pumps never fail while you are home, and usually when you are gone for the weekend. Seriously... most pumps degrade slowly... its always nice to have something working when total failure occurs.

BreefMe
10/05/2007, 09:02 AM
I really would recommend that you use just the dart for the CL and some other dedicated pump for the OL return.

That is how my 180 is set up and I have no regrets at all.

Just my 2 cents.

namwodahs
10/05/2007, 10:55 AM
Good call on the redundancy. I hadn't thought about the Dart failing and being completely out of luck.

Thanks!