PDA

View Full Version : Video of Octopus NW200 Skimmer in action

schigara
10/05/2007, 10:50 PM
NW200 Skimmer Video (http://www.livevideo.com/video/45260356B8B24EA7AD8E7B03A031D00A/octopus-nw200-protein-skimmer.aspx)

This is my first real skimmer so I don't have any basis for comparison. In the past I only had some poorly made DIY airstone skimmers that produced about jack...........

I think it works very well and have done a few mods. I bored out the elbow as far as I could without making it too weak and drilled out the venturi to the same inside diameter of the tubing.

I got the skimmer when the tank was cycling and hooked it up totally stock and ran it for a week. It pulled out 3 full collection cups of yellowish gunk in just 24 hours which was mainly the substrate and dead rock residue that never settled.

A couple weeks after adding fish, it was skimming very little. I assume this was due to the skimmer not being broken in fully and not much there to skim.

At this point, the stand pipe was all the up to keep the bubbles high enough to make anything spill into the cup.

Next I did the mods to the elbow and the venturi and immediately I had to drop the stand pipe down about 2 inches to keep the cup from overfilling. I also tried 1 and 2 layers of gutter gaurd on the wheel held with fishing line and the motor would never start 100% of the time without blowing into the venturi line so I dumped the GG mod.

So now I am just using the ported elbow and venturi and the standpipe is set about 2 inches below all the way up and I think it is working well. In 48 hours, it fills the collection cup half way with some very stinky green skimmate. Does this seem like a reasonable ammount? The 75g tank with 55g sump is less than 3 months old. Livestock is pair of Ocellaris, Bi-Color Pseudochromis, Singapore Angel, Bi-Color Angel and Tomini Tang and one leather Toadstool. I feed 1 cube of Mysis or Marine Cuisine every other day.

Percula9
10/05/2007, 11:02 PM
Sounds like it's working fine now.

jrmx635
10/06/2007, 02:05 PM
it just needed to break in.
Mine looked like that video for a few days,then I did the mods.
Most important for best performance on this skimmer is the mesh mod.
The reason your pump didn't always start is the gutter gaurd must have been hitting something.It was too big.
Try to use it but trim it back some.
I used all kinds of things for mesh mod and find the 3m green mesh pad from lowes or home depot worked best for me.
huge difference.
Then I also drilled out the venturi air line and used a peice of R/O line instead.
I did not glue it in because I like to be able to adjust it.
Also I did the recirc mod and feed it from tank drain.
It is on a 75 with 20 gallon sump.
You won't believe how mush more air it will pull.
I did each mod with about a week interval so I could see the results.
Most important is have patience with a new skimmer.
They definately need time to build up the slime coat inside the body.