PDA

View Full Version : Help with wiring/programing actuated ball valve

Avast Marine
10/06/2007, 09:02 AM
http://www.usplastic.com/pdfdatafiles/20608specsheet11-2003.pdf

I need to wire and program this hayward valve. I am using it for temperature control. It is placed between my chiller closed loop from the sump and my return line to the tank. If temp gets too hot I want the program to close the valve and let the chiller adjust the sump temp before letting the water back to the tank.

First I need to get it wired. Should I wire it to two hots and two plugs on my DC8? Or should I wire it to a relay and let that do the switching? Either way I need help :)

kenargo
10/06/2007, 10:57 AM
The unit draws 2.8 A which a DC8 can handle but you should be cautious with the total load (2 of these will draw 1/3 of the capacity of a DC* so you may wand to look into using an DC4HD or a dedicated DC4 (you would loose the 2 other plugs unless they are used for low amperage devices). Looking at the unit it appears that you can wire a standard 3 prong outlet to the unit and use a single plug in the DC8.

Avast Marine
10/06/2007, 12:41 PM
But there are two hot wires. One for open and one for close, a common and ground.

kenargo
10/06/2007, 01:27 PM
I am sorry; I misread the schmatic; you are correct; I had usd one in the past which was powered to open and I missed that this one was different; sorry.

I would use a relay; otherwise there could be times where both open and closed coils would be energized (and I am not sure how this unit would handle it). Have the DC8 control the relay and wire the relay to energize the closed coil when the DC8 is off (that way the relay is off most of the time).

Avast Marine
10/06/2007, 07:10 PM
OK, I have a DPDT 110VAC relay. Is there a simple diagram somewhere of what wire should go where? Thanks for your help kenargo :)

kenargo
10/06/2007, 08:09 PM
I could draw one but I'll explain and perhaps that will do (let me know)

You want to connect the outlet from the DC8 (or whatever) accross the AC coil for the relay. From a separate plug (which will supply power to the valve you will connect the commons (white) together (the power cord common and the common from the valve). The center pole of the relay be connected to the hot from the power cord. Then the NC relay connection will be connected to the "closed" (brown) of the valve (this will leave the valve closed when there is no power from the DC8); the NO will be connected to the "open" (black) of the valve. you will only need to use 1/2 of the relay but if you wanted to get some redundancy you could wire both sides the same in which case both contact sets of the DP would connect and open (or close) the valve. The green should be connected to the ground of the power cord (usually green).

When the DC8 is off the relay will be off and the hot will connect to the NC connection (and the valve will close). When power from the DC8 energizes the relay the relay will connect the hot to the NO connection and send power to open the valve.

If this doesn't make sense let me know....

Avast Marine
10/06/2007, 11:15 PM
Let me see if I understand here.

Looking at my relay here are the pins:

1--2 NC
3--4 NO
5--6 Common
7--8 Coil

1 goes to brown on valve
3 goes to black on valve
5 goes to hot leg of plug to wall
White and green from valve go to white and green of plug to wall.

Coil throws me off. Do I just wire a plug to the coil? Hot to 7 and neutral to 8? Ground to the ground of the valve?

kenargo
10/07/2007, 11:07 AM
Yes, that is correct; the "coil" is the part of the relay which turns the relay on/off and goes to the plug which connects to the DC8 just as y ou indicates. When power goes to the coil then the relay energizes (turns on) and the valve gets power to "Open".

One more thing I just thought of; the coild may be too low a current for the DC8; you may need to plug a night-light into the same outlet as the coil is plugged into so that the DC8 works properly.

Avast Marine
10/07/2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a go tonight. I don't think having a indicator light attached to this circuit is a bad idea at all considering it is one of the most important components of my setup :)