PDA

View Full Version : question about my rock...

asherah
10/06/2007, 09:07 PM
so I moved and moved all my rock from a 40 gallon to a 92gallon but then after a few months I moved to a new house and took the rock with me.
It was put into an aquarium the same day it was taken out. But there doesn't seem to be any filtration from it at all.

The water is green from alage... =( There is one clownfish in it so I dont understand it.
I cleaned the filter and changed the water and within 3 days it was green again....

ugh.. should add some new live rock ? =/

I have a protein skimmer coming and a refugium aswell.

amanda

asherah
10/06/2007, 09:18 PM
ok so there's not a whole lot of info in that thread =p

Basically there doesn't seem to be any life in the rock at all anymore. It's just bare and tehre is constantly algae... when I first got the rock there were feather dusters and some snails etc but now there is nothing...
It's very frustrating staring at a green tank =/
amanda

ClayWagner
10/06/2007, 10:57 PM
What's the water parameters? Rock might not be your problem...

SlowCobra
10/06/2007, 10:57 PM
Are you using Tap water?

asherah
10/06/2007, 11:38 PM
Yes i am using tapwater..

I was thinking of buying the big jugs of water for the water coolers. But I would need to buy a couple of them to fill the tank.. and then more for top offs might be expensive..

Would they be better for the tank ? .... I will spend the money if it will fix it.

amanda

SlowCobra
10/06/2007, 11:41 PM
The tapwater is the problem. It has nothing to do with your rocks not "filtering".

You need at minimum an RO unit. Better to get an RODI and remove all impurities from the water.

asherah
10/06/2007, 11:51 PM
ok i'm assuming that hooks up to the tap then ? Where would I get it from ?
amanda

SlowCobra
10/06/2007, 11:58 PM
RODI stands for Reverse Osmosis DeIonization.

You can purchase them from numerous places online. DO NOT get a cheapy EBay unit. Here are a couple site sponsors that offer quality units at a good price.

Buckeye Field Supply (http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/)

The Filter Guys (http://www.thefilterguys.biz/)

asherah
10/07/2007, 12:15 AM
Thank you! Definitely going to get one of those =)

So should I drain the water and fill it with the RO water then ?

amanda

SlowCobra
10/07/2007, 12:23 AM
Being that the tank is up and functional, I would just do a series of at least 4 large water changes over the course of about 7-14 days. By large I would say 25-30%.

Due to the tapwater being used it will take a while to get the tank back in check. You may want to look into getting a phosphate reactor and running GFO to help eliminate the phosphates which I am sure are quite high in the tank.

If the water itself is actually green, your best bet is to either drain it all and start the tank as if starting from scratch or get a UV sterilizer.

yellowwatchmen
10/07/2007, 12:26 AM
I would not drain it but i would do a 25% water change. And just keep on using the RO for water changes and top off. You said you changed the filter what kind of filter is it? And what Kind of skimmer did you get?

Good job on catching that SlowCobra. :thumbsup:

asherah
10/07/2007, 12:29 AM
It is a hang on the tank kind of filter. With the carbon and sponge. I also bought a aqua C remora hang on tank skimmer.
It is supposed to be here on wednesday.

I have a fluidized bed filter aswell but that isn't running because I need a pump for it but that wil be here on wednesdayd aswell.

Should I use that aswell ?

amanda

yellowwatchmen
10/07/2007, 12:34 AM
Does it have a Bio-wheel If so remove it. All it will do is cause Nitrates.

melev
10/07/2007, 12:56 AM
Hi Amanda,

Have you been in the hobby for the past 2 years? It sounds like you haven't from your posts here, but I could be wrong.

What kind of tank are you trying to set up? Fish Only? Fish Only With Live Rock? Reef?

Once we know that, we can help you better.

asherah
10/07/2007, 10:31 AM
I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 years I lived in my other house becauset hat is where I started my tank.
I had my 40 gallon up for awhile. It was growing pods and coraline and diong great. I didn't have problems with tap water with it.
So I dont know why this one is having so much trouble.

But eithier way I will get a RO/DI filter.

amanda

yellowwatchmen
10/07/2007, 11:01 AM
The tap water at your old house might have been that bad. But the tap at you new is really bad.

Toddrtrex
10/07/2007, 11:24 AM
And if you are worried about hooking up the RO/DI, they can hook up directly to the faucet, you don't have to tap into the water line. It doesn't look at nice that way, but it does work.

I rent my townhouse and didn't want to tap into the cold water line.
So I do this,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/RO_DI2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/RO_DI1.jpg

asherah
10/07/2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone, I bought an RO/DI 5 stage filter from the filter guys =)
hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here. My tank will be up and running in no time lol.

amanda