PDA

View Full Version : tank is filled, now I have questions about adding my LR

simmlink
10/07/2007, 11:22 AM
I appreciate the help I got on my previous post, I got my tank filled yesterday and added my salt :) My pump and powerhead are now circulating the water, waiting for my live rock to arrive, which should be Tuesday.

Now I have a few more questions :)

-I should be running my protein skimmer while the rock cures, correct? Should I have additional mechanical filtration? Or is the protein skimmer (and occasionally siphoning the debris) adequate?

-My tank temperature is fluctuating from between 79.2 - 80.9 F. I keep my house temperature at 76 - 77 so I was hoping the water would be a bit cooler. I ran my lights for a few hours last night to see how the temperature was affected - it was about 80.2; then a few hours after I turned the light off it was up to 80.9 (lights seem to have a negative effect on temp). I'm confused. Does anyone have tips for lowering temp besides a chiller? (I'm limited on $ and space).

-This may be a dumb question - I have 2X96w PC lights. One of the dual tube is Actinic. When on, one is bright blue and the other is either dark purple or burned out. Is this normal for Actinic bulbs or do I have a defective bulb?

Sorry for the long questions, but I appeciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks!!!
simmlink

SaltyDr
10/07/2007, 12:30 PM
Run the skimmer when cycling. Siphoning the debris should be fine. You'll need some fans to help cool things a bit. Either computer fans in the side of the canopy or if it is an open top a regular fan blowing across the top of the water. Have the fan(s) come on with the lights. You'll evaporate more water this way, so be ready for top offs. Good luck.

tanker
10/07/2007, 12:31 PM
1) All you need now is the skimmer.

2) 80 is fine. IMO anywhere from 76-82 is OK. If too hot run a fan over the water.

3) Both bulbs should be blue. Sounds defective.

payyourtoll
10/07/2007, 01:34 PM
your 1 degree fluctuation in temp is fine, mine moves 2-3 degrees over 24 hours and I consider it normal.

Agree with tanker on #3, replace the bad bulb.

Run your skimmer 24/7 from now on

simmlink
10/07/2007, 01:49 PM
Great, thanks everyone.

I've been looking at the specs of my lighting a bit more (Current USA Orbit). It says it has a "dual actinic light tube" with an Actinic 03/7100k Blue tube. It also describes this tube as "Actinic 420nm/460nm"

Does this explain the tube that looks purple or possibly burned out? Or still think it's a bad tube? This is a brand new light (with tube) that I got in the mail on Friday.

Thanks!
Simmlink

asm481
10/07/2007, 04:49 PM
Your light is most likely the same one I have. It is OK. One tube being a different blue just looks dead next to the other one.
When I got my bulbs there was a sticker describing this, so evidently it is an often asked question.